"custom" etching question

I have had several folks want custom etching on knives. Initials and Bible verses so far. To date, I have been ordering a stencil with my logo, along with the custom lettering they want. I am thinking of having my stencil maker make me a sheet of the alphabet, numbers, and some symbols in my font that I can use to create whatever message I need. Maybe a larger sheet with an inch between each character. I apply these custom etches to the spine, so I think keeping the letters aligned won't be too difficult, if I mark out some guide lines to line up with the scale/ spine joints. The yellow stencils from TUS (my current supplier) make seeing what is under the stencil easy. If anyone has done something like this, I'd like to get your experience. Regardless, I know there are some sharp minds that can noodle through this and let me know if i am missing any issues that would kill this. Thanks in advance for your input.

Kdog, if you are using Tus already, they have an photo imageable (?) paper that they sell, that they say is good for around 3 uses. You just need a laser printer, and you put whatever image in your computer onto this paper, and you'll have a stencil.

Maybe worth checking out.

Regards--Don

Thanks Don. I checked into that. They have the photo self etching material, that you use by printing on a transparency and then you expose it to light and use developing solution. Then they have the themo etcing paper, but don't have a thermo printer (it's like what is used to print receipts. Both options have me learning yet another skill, and purchasing more stuff. Not something I want to add to my already bursting brain at the moment.

So as a follow up, I ordered a sheet containing all letters upper and lower case, numbers and some punctuation in my font from tustech for $64. One full sheet is what amounted to. I ordered the gold as it easier to see through when you are creating your message. Sorry the first picture is so bad, is is extremely hard to get your camera to focus on this stuff for some reason.

6753c14286869783121cff051c4d1b22.jpg

06c5f33b7118f57c2dc1656614a09d61.jpg

And here is the result. I'm pretty happy with it.

b9ba67acca26809a4003d07ab7e3f637.jpg

I will only be offering this on the spine, because I put my logo on the presentation side of the blade, and lining up the letters is easy when done this way.

I don't know I am late but You can use PCB photoresist dryfilm usually used for making custom PCBs. I use it for etching My maker's mark instead of stencils used in USA. It can be used for etching B/W graphics too. A lot of guides how to use it are on YT. Additional needs are laser or inkjet printer, transparent foil, UV light source (can be used UV LEDs too), washing soda and, sodium hydroxide. Here's my etching, letters are about 2-2,5mm small.
If You need more informations just ask me. :)

I looked into that, and went this route instead. for etching just the spine it is working well.

Back