Custom fencing saber

I've decided to take up fencing. I think an organised sport might help in both a training regimen, and in what I'm doing with all those large knives, if anyone asks
smile.gif
. If I like it, I'll probably want to get something custom-made. So, my question is, who would you all recommend to make a set of sabers, one live and one for fencing purposes. That way, the blade I use sports-wise would have the same balance as the live one, so my practice with it would not be limited to the fencing arena. Any thoughts?

[edit]Should probably include that this will be saber, not foil or epee, in case you couldn't guess[/edit]

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by e_utopia (edited 08-02-2000).]

My suggestion is to go to the "Live Steel" board at NetSword.com with this question. There you will find many people and very legitimate organizations who practise Live Steel combat in many styles (including saber) who can answer your questions.

There are fencing sabers available at a wide range of qualities and with different furniture. You don't need to go custom at all. Try looking at triplette competition arms web site.

Okay, I think I should clarify. I don't want to fence with live steel. I want one sword which is suitable for fencing (ie, conforms to rules, won't injure someone easily), and another which is an actual weapon. And, yes, I could post this in other forums, but I figure this one is new and should get some traffic.

rep, I know I don't need to go custom, but I just want to (assuming I like it enough; we'll find out in a couple of months
smile.gif
).

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

JB,
The problem you're running into here is that 'fencing' as it is commonly practiced as sport is nothing like fencing as a weapon art. The only 'real' sabers I know of that are similar to olympic fencing sabers are the Patton Model 1913 and the British . . .of a slightly earlier date. BUT they are way heavier, and you can't wield them quite the same way. Look up HACA & maybe some other sites for an introduction to the dizzying array of period fencing styles available. Personally, I think it's a great sport/martial art, and welcome to the fold! But be careful; it's as addictive as knives, and the hilts are prettier!
biggrin.gif

------------------
V.

Back