Custom folder for a newbie under $260?

My first custom (a Dozier fixed) hasn't arrived quite yet and already, I'm thinking about a custom folder.

It seems $300-$350 is a good price to get some good ones. But, like the Dozier, I don't think I want to go that high, especially, for my first custom folder.

Can I get a custom folder that would warm me up before I start selling off knives to buy more for less? I'm hoping to get an OK custom folder for $260 or less.

I'm not sure that the "you get what you pay for" ALWAYS applies with customs because I know there are some good makers that just haven't gotten the recognition yet and are offering good prices to get their knives "out there".

My only requirement is that it have at least a 2.5" blade, pocket clip and one-hand opening hole/stud. (I like tacticals.)

Even a good hybrid factory/custom would be OK - for example a custom Emerson, but obviously I'd prefer a non-factory custom to cut my teeth on.

Any chance on that happening? Suggestions?

I have a DPD-1 that is in your price range and am very impressed. Paul Duncan makes them, his web site is www.dpdknives.net. You won't be disappointed, the action is slick and the lock up is tight, they're not Strider tough, but they meet all of my needs in a pocket knife.

Just out of your price range would be the Marlowe line of knives, they are a little more robust and the quality is outstanding, hence his back log. Just my .02 cents.

Originally posted by TIR
I have a DPD-1 that is in your price range and am very impressed. Paul Duncan makes them, his web site is www.dpdknives.net. You won't be disappointed, the action is slick and the lock up is tight, they're not Strider tough, but they meet all of my needs in a pocket knife.

Great suggestion. Those are pretty nice!

Are you considering "used" knives? I always think of $285 as a level where you can get into some really good customs that are maybe underappreciated at any given time. For example, look for a used Darrel Ralph EDC or Apogee. Mike O.'s customs can be found in that range if you look hard too. You shouldn't have to settle for "OK" if you're willing to look hard and be patient. Good luck.

Back