Custom Knife in the Making - Cable Damascus No Hammer Marks V2 - Part #1

Folks,

This is the Part 1 of an extended version of the tutorial that will appear on David Darom's 3rd book, "100 Custom Knives in the Making" I've splitted it on some "chapters" as it's picture intensive.

The book is to be introduced to the public on Blade 2006, and will show a tutorial of mine on no hammer marks cable forging. Please note that the pictures the book will have are of much much more quality!

This knife will be on David's stand on Blade 2006 for all atendees to check it out in person!

I'd like to thank David for his interest on my knives and for waiting until the last minute until I get my arm good enough to hammer again!

PART #1

This is the begining of it, a section of cable and a rod to insert inside. The rod will provide a secure tang for the handle.

tutorialdarom1_big.jpg

Secured on the vise, already hammered in (you can see some of the inner cable strand coming out on the other side of the rod)

tutorialdarom2_big.jpg

Done so far.

tutorialdarom3_big.jpg

Cutting the extra inner strand with a disk hand grinder.

tutorialdarom4_big.jpg

Placing the cable on the over for a double purpose: burn all the oil on it and heat it so I can twist it to make the cable more compact. Note that I tied the cable with 5 metal wires to the cable doesn't open with the heat.

tutorialdarom5_big.jpg

Cable on the oven getting heated.

tutorialdarom6_big.jpg

Getting it out of the over, red hot.

tutorialdarom7_big.jpg

Twisting one side on the vise.

tutorialdarom8_big.jpg

The other side.

tutorialdarom9_big.jpg

Removing the first metal ties to insert the cable on the pipe that will prevent it from getting hammer marks.

tutorialdarom10_big.jpg

Grabbing the pipe to start the next step.

tutorialdarom11_big.jpg

Hammering the pipe to get the cable inside it.

tutorialdarom12_big.jpg

Cable almost completely inside. Note the discoloration and flattening on one side... I had to heat it several times to get it to receive the cable inside.

tutorialdarom13_big.jpg

"Sealing" one end with an electric welder. We'll see later why the "sealing" shouldn't be perfect.

tutorialdarom14_big.jpg

tutorialdarom15_big.jpg

tutorialdarom16_big.jpg

One end done.

tutorialdarom17_big.jpg

Adding a washer to the other end.

tutorialdarom18_big.jpg

Presenting it for the welding.

tutorialdarom19_big.jpg

Welding it.

tutorialdarom20_big.jpg

tutorialdarom21_big.jpg

Welded.

tutorialdarom22_big.jpg

Container ready to go to the oven for the following hammering.

tutorialdarom23_big.jpg

END OF PART #1

Thanks for looking!

Ariel

Back