Custom Knife Sharpening Time? Almost One Year Waiting...

I know real men and special operators don't wine about it they suck it up and shut up and take it.
Not sure what you are saying here. Or how it's relevant to the topic.

Yea if he hasn't heard back by now i doubt he's gonna get it any time soon if at all. Lessons to be learned here.
He will get it back. The wait time on getting customs spa-ed up is no secret (it just may not have been known to the OP). Ernest does them all, which is why it's not like the turnaround on a production. I am NOT saying that the wait time is not excessively long, but it's no secret.

And this folks, is why everyone should learn to sharpen their own blades. :)
Agreed.

At 500 days, how many customs could there be waiting to get resharpened?

I really like Emerson knives but frankly, that is ridiculous. Sad to even have to say that, as I have the utmost respect for Mr. Emerson and he seems to as well for all his customers.

That just doesn’t seem like him.

This is dumb as hell...

You buy a custom knife, gets dulled, send it Emerson, and when you get it, you're already 6' under the ground. It's not really Emerson fault, but the faults of people who don't know how to sharpen knives. Again, ridiculous and laughable. I understand zero chisel grinds are tough to sharpen once its dulled, but come on....it's 154cm, it's softer than my limp D**ck.

This is where Josh from REK comes in handy, 4 weeks lead time vs forever.

I read that Mr. Emerson will be scaling back the number of new custom knives he mades for shows to focus on spa treatment work that is backlogged. I'm excited that this may mean I'll get my piece back before the 2 year waiting period experienced by some recently :)

There is no way on God's green earth I would wait that long for anyone to do anything to one of my knives. Matter of fact I would't wait that long for anyone to make me a knife. Life is to short. Any knife that has to be sent in to be re-sharpened isn't for me anyways. keepem sharp

Dear Members,
I do do the repairs sharpening and repairs in batches, so someone may get a knife back right away and some will be longer, just due to when they arrive. I also apologize for the wait, it is way too long. I only have 6 knives now in and awaiting my attention. The extra long wait I guarantee is the exception and I understand why someone would want to post about it. However most people get their knives back rather quickly and just have no reason to post about that so no one hears that story. Again I apologize for the long wait some of you have experienced and I promise that I am trying to dedicate more time to that issue. Bear in mind though that no other knifemaker in history has the workload that I bear - none.

And I get that negative news is always more interesting than positive. I guess that's why someone - longbow decided to bring this post back to the top even though I am almost positive that the original posters have all had their knives finished and returned. Oh the wonder of anonymous posting. My name is always on every post I have ever posted. If I say something everyone will know who said it.

My Best Regards,
Ernest Emerson

Dear Members,
I do do the repairs sharpening and repairs in batches, so someone may get a knife back right away and some will be longer, just due to when they arrive. I also apologize for the wait, it is way too long. I only have 6 knives now in and awaiting my attention. The extra long wait I guarantee is the exception and I understand why someone would want to post about it. However most people get their knives back rather quickly and just have no reason to post about that so no one hears that story. Again I apologize for the long wait some of you have experienced and I promise that I am trying to dedicate more time to that issue. Bear in mind though that no other knifemaker in history has the workload that I bear - none.

And I get that negative news is always more interesting than positive. I guess that's why someone - longbow decided to bring this post back to the top even though I am almost positive that the original posters have all had their knives finished and returned. Oh the wonder of anonymous posting. My name is always on every post I have ever posted. If I say something everyone will know who said it.

My Best Regards,
Ernest Emerson

I think it's petty cool that you respond to posts and listen to people. One thing I'd expect is that if customers are given a time frame, like 8-12 weeks (assuming the OP is describing that accurately), either honor the time frame or don't set that expectation. Or at least if the time frame changes and someone on your side is aware that it will take longer than previously expected, notify the customer so they can make a decision about if they want to handle the sharpening in a different way.

Being busy is a real thing. I personally wouldn't be upset if you were just extremely busy. The bad customer experience comes when a company sets an expectation explicitly and then doesn't keep their word.

Bear in mind though that no other knifemaker in history has the workload that I bear - none.

That's quite a bold statement...I'd be interested to know how you have established that fact. Or were you saying that your workload is "none":rolleyes:?

~Chip

That's quite a bold statement...I'd be interested to know how you have established that fact. Or were you saying that your workload is "none":rolleyes:?

~Chip
Chip, I would dare say you have no idea the many and various commitments Mr. Emerson has. He was man enough to post in this thread and apologize about the OP's inordinate wait, so respect is due.

Most any of us in this forum (or the EMERSON subforum) know faster options exist, but for some there is satisfaction knowing Ernest Emerson both made and serviced their very knife.

Hopefully you can understand you are in the maker's subforum, thus it is populated with folks who love Emerson knives.

True, I don't know his commitments...but claiming he has a higher workload than any other knife maker in history is unsubstantiated boastfullness.

~Chip

True, I don't know his commitments...but claiming he has a higher workload than any other knife maker in history is unsubstantiated boastfullness.

~Chip
In the same post you admit you lack the knowledge of Ernest Emerson's commitments, yet somehow still assert "unsubstantiated boasting". Got it.

In the same post you admit you lack the knowledge of Ernest Emerson's commitments, yet somehow still assert "unsubstantiated boasting". Got it.
And does he know the commitments of every other knife maker in history? I doubt it...hence, unsubstantiated boasting :rolleyes: Not to mention the fact that his workload is set by him, nobody is forcing him to make knives or accept orders.

Reactions: Mo2
Who cares if it's a provable quantifiable fact? Maybe he could have phrased it differently, but he probably wasn't expecting an analysis of his claim.

Let's just look at his known responsibilities. He makes 100ish customs a year for two shows (which is more customs than most custom makers make per year), plus however many other customs he does for online lotteries, prototypes, etc. He is in charge of a major knife production company that makes it's knives here, and does not farm it's operation out overseas. He has a podcast. He has a martial arts school. He has R&D duties. AND, he has a family.

So, he's busy. My head would crack open with all those responsibilities on a daily basis.

I have a feeling his claim is rather accurate. I wouldn't want to send my knife in for re-sharpening because I respect the master's time and I don't want to waste it.

Learn to sharpen your knife and problem solved.

And does he know the commitments of every other knife maker in history? I doubt it...hence, unsubstantiated boasting :rolleyes: Not to mention the fact that his workload is set by him, nobody is forcing him to make knives or accept orders.

Name other knife makers who do customs, run production companies, sell clothes, coffee, accessories, guitars, and firearms, write, blog, podcast, travel, run training centers, and instruct military...

And also, why the hell are you here?? (Don't answer that. The fact that you came to a brand forum to sh*t talk the brand is the answer.)

I am embarrassed for you.

Dear bvo85,
Please send me an email to ernest@emersonknives with your actual name so I can check.When I checked the remaining knives I had left to address just the other day, I did not find any left that were just in for sharpening. I sent out about 25 that were "just sharpening" about 2-3 months ago. Your knife should have been in that batch. I can't run anything down as the remaining knives which are the ones that have various requests for extra work have names and addresses. All I have here to go on from this post is bvo85.

Again I'm just saying, on every forum I have ever participated in, knives, guns martial arts or others, I always have my real name attached. I still do not understand the need for anonymity in forums. Nothing on you bvo85 but for gosh sakes it just allows people to say things that they never have to own up to. My parents taught me to take personal responsibility for every thing I do and say and if I get thumped for it, to be willing to take it if I thought I was right. Maybe I expect more of people.

Sorry about the added rant. Like I said nothing on you bvo85.

Best,
Ernest Emerson

Back