Custom Knife Sheath Question

I recently purchased a Harvey Dean “Huckleberry” from one of our esteemed fellow knife knuts. I always like to have a sheath for my fixed blades and this knife does not have one. Not that I will necessarily be carrying the knife much. I just want a sheath. I know Dean uses Kenny Rowe for some of his sheath work. There are others I’m sure. I am just at a loss as to what style.

I thought I would ask you guys for your opinions on what style of sheath would best compliment a knife like this one.

(Mods, forgive me if this is not the correct forum)

This forum is as good as any considering it is a really nice custom and we don't have a seperate sheath forum.

I think a dressed up standard style leather sheath with belt loop would look great. My recommendation would be to contact Chuck Burrows www.wrtcleather.com and see what he could come up for you. He has made me a couple of sheaths and the quality is right up there with a Dean knife.

For a fixed blade sheath Dave at Lifter's Leather is doing some really nice work.
He's a member here, you can do a search to see some of his work. I think I have
5 of his sheaths, on Sigmans, Fikes, Pease knives.

His e-mail lifter4him1@aol.com

Win

Nice looking knife! It looks good next to the old gun, it has a classic appearance. I especially like the checkering in the handle.

One of the older antique bowie knife books might be a good place to get some ideas about style of sheath. Something maybe with a little silver in a classic style would look nice to me. Good luck!
David

Both makers listed do great work but, for the style, I think Chuck Burrows would be the best choice.

I think a black leather sheath with silver throat and collar and the leather tooled to match the checkering on the handle would be super sweet. If you wanted something a little more plain, something similar top this which accompanied another small Dean bowie would also work:

orig.jpg

Cheers,

Roger

This beautiful knife, with a straight spine on both blade and handle, cries out for a pouch sheath. If it is not your intention to carry the knife, retention will not be an issue. If you intend to carry it I would suggest a pouch with a snap secured flap as there is no indication of any retention features on the knife itself. Embellishment would be up to you. Chuck Burrows's sheath work is as good as it gets, and that is gospel! ---Sandy---

Thanks for all the ideas gentleman. I appreciate hearing your thoughts. I also sent an e-mail to “Master” Dean to get his opinion. The actual knife I bought has a stag handle. It is the one Peter (aka ptgdvc) posted over in the sale forum. I noticed on Harvey’s wed site a knife with some engraving by a man here in Texas. It just so happens that he lives in the same small Texas town where I live. I may have to check that out also. Sorry to gush about this but it will be my most expensive custom and I am pretty excited about it.

Chris Kravitt from Treestump Leather in Maine is a top notch leatherworker. I don't even know if he OWNS a computer, he does have a websit, and he sure does great leatherwork, at the right price, and he delivers ON TIME. No BS mucking about with him, you tell him what you want, he makes it for you.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Kohai, I have to agree with you about Chris. I am leaning toward him for the Dean. I sent him this Tomes and just told him to do what he though was best. You can see what he came up with.

I dusted off this old thread of mine to show you guys the sheath I wound up getting for the Harvey Dean. I went with Chris Kravitt of Treestump Leather and just got it back today. The inlay is iguana skin. Pretty cool. :)

Back