Custom makes fails to deliver - what should I do??

GADI,

Just wait for it. U will feel awesome when you finally get it. If it is who I think it is then Les is right. He has gone through a lot these pass two years.

As for steel choices. Hey if you really want the 420V then you have to wait for it. In the end it comes down to what you would really want. And when you get what you want then the world just seem to be in harmony more. Good luck. I am sure you will be happy when you get it.

Liong

In the end, it's better to get what you want than sit in the middle and suk on it. Get what you want the first time and be happy. I wish you luck Bilious. You seem to be a pretty level headed dude. Who is this maker anyhow? Tell us who he is so we can all put in our orders with him. No reason not to is there? All you can do is increase his reputation by naming him. I like him already and don't even know who he is. He he. Knifemakers are good people if a little on the honrey side. If Les knows him then we should too. Fess up Bili boy. :D

I cant say much here but im always backed up just like most of the makers i know and the proplem that you are having i have seen so many times. You might want to think of what you are going to be using the knife for so you can select the steel type. 420v is a good steel but i have found that its not for all aplications. 154cm or 440v might be better for what you are doing with it. But it comes down to this its your hard money to spend don't buy anything that is not going to make you happy. Order exactly what you want or you will always think to yourself I could have the other steel.

Does anybody not keep written records anymore? Forgot just does not get it with me. You want your money when knife is finished whether it is late or not. Then knife better be what I want, or you can forget it. That is my personal opinion only, and whatever you do is your business. Big D1

Not everyone is perfect like you Big D1. Ever try keeping records on several different avenues of sales. I do alot of business in forums and in chat rooms. I always ask people to send me an email so I can keep track of the orders I get. How the hell am I supposed to keep track of orders I get with no description? Can you clue me in? Relax and realize that this isn't a perfect world that correlates with your vision of what the world should look like. It ain't rosy where I live. I have to deal with facts and specific descriptions from people who order my knives. Otherwise, I'm just wandering around behid the little animals. Get a grip Big D1. It don't always work the way you think it should.

The maker is a top maker and I will consult with him before making his name public here.

I was interested in the debate and the opinions of you guys - not bashing the maker.

If, after reading this thread he will feel comfortable - I will post his details.

If not - I will respect his position.

Max, I said that was my personal opinion, and I stand by it. Furthermore, do not take an order without a full description--it is that simple. Remember, you started this crap by criticizing me with phrases like, perfect like you, correlates with your vision, and get a grip, so go blow smoke up anothers rump. The world is full of excuses and people that make them. Big D1

Yeah, I jumped in there a little too fast D1. Sorry about that. I guess you picked up on the fact that you hit a nerve with me. Not all makers are blessed with good organizing skills. I include myself in that group. It's frustrating dealing with lots of different folks and trying to keep it all straight. Evidently, you're one of the few who are blessed with good organizing skills. I'm sure I'd feel the same way you do if I was gifted like you. Didn't mean to get so snippy with you D1. That was one of those times I should have kept my keystrokes to myself.

I'm reasonably certain there is an inverse correlation between quality of knives and quality of bookkeeping skills. Decide which attribute you prefer in your knifemaker then choose.

There is an interesting tendancy on these forums sometimes to air almost any mistake a knifemaker makes. Ask yourself this, "self, have I ever screwed up?" If the answer is "no, I've never once screwed up," then you should certainly demand the same of your custom knifemaker, as does Big D1. If on the other hand, you occassionally have an "aw sh*t" in your own work, you might just allow for the occassional "aw sh*t" by your friendly custom knifemaker. After all, we have to deal with the occassional "I know I ordered that knife from you several months ago, and I know you made it exactly like I wanted it, and I know you said you didn't need a deposit and I could pay for it when it was done, but I just don't have the money right now" kind of thing from our much beloved and respected customers.

Lighten up. Life is full of little ups and downs... :)

Jerry, insinuations and hinting slyly about being perfect will not get you no where with me chief. I have been to that dance before. Understand, it is not about being perfect. It is a matter of ordering something, paying for it, and then being satisfied with that purchase. I guess that is too much to ask around this joint.

Max, I just like paying for a product that I order and being satisfied with that purchase. You did catch me on the organizing skills a bit. Not to brag, but I did take two years of accounting in college, and now I am out here pounding the blacktop on America's highways. Big D1

Big D1, get something straight. I personally don't know a single maker who asks a customer to pay for something they don't like. That was never an issue in the premise of this thread.

I wasn't insinuating or hinting at anything. I think what I said was pretty clear and unambiguous, even if I don't have two years of accounting in college.

fudo, it was an excellent post by Jerry except for the phrase, as does Big D1. That just ruined it for me. Big D1

Jery, I think it is quite obvious that you did insinuate the bit about me being perfect in your above post, or you would not have used my handle, Big D1, in the text of your post. Then you take a final stab at me with the two years of accounting bit. Seriously, if you do not like my opinions, then quit criticizing them and making insinuations. You do not rule no roost here, so quit acting like the big cock. Big D1

Lighten up D1. There was nothing sinister in my posts, just an effort at lightening the mood. I think you need to go back and read what I wrote. I never suggested you were perfect (believe me!). I said (not insinuated) that you seemed to demand it in your knifemakers.

Hell, I don't even rule in my own home, let alone here or anywhere else. Relax... :)

This thread started and went on as a pleasant and respectful thread.

I would be very grateful if it would go on looking like that.

The purpose of the question was to help me make up my mind - and that is a subjective thing.

I enjoy listening to BFM opinions and want nothing less then to bash any and all makers.

Back