Custom production?

Does anyone have any further details on custom production knives? On the website it talked about limited runs which I guess refers to the Ti-LaGriffes or Ti-Commanders. It would definitely be cool to get a Commander or raven with Ti-bolsters and micarta scales.

Jason

Fenris,
my understanding is that Emerson will produce a Limited Production Run of Ti Comanders meaning "Ti Blades" specifically.
Handles to be G-10 and standard config.

You can find Ti La Griffes availible at BoTach in L.A. He had something like 50 made and still has a substantial quantity left.

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

I know about those two limited runs but I'm talking about the new section on their website that talks about custom production versions of their current line that will allow for options such as damascus bladed ravens or specwars etc.

Jason

Fenris,
I saw the recent addition on their web as well. I'm not clear either then but it sounds like a possibility. Sorry for the misunderstanding of your question.
Later :-{)

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

Fenris, I haven't heard anything else. I am curious to see how these will be priced though. I am wondering if they will be at the $1200 price for the Ti Commander. Or something a little more reasonable. I called Emerson about a year ago, concerning custom work on a production knife. At that time, he said no way. I don't want this to sound wrong, but by making custom production knives, it sounds like a great way to fold the custom shop into the production and take care of back log orders.

------------------
Paranoia is only smart thinking
when everyone is out to get you.

I contacted them about ordering a CQC6, I asked for specs and options available. They said "we are 3 years behind on the CQC6 , the price runs $500-1500$ , check our website" . The website gives no info on the 6. I know Emerson does not need more business, as he is swamped now , but I got the impression they don't care if I buy one or not . Clearly, not enough info is given for me to mail them $1500 and sit back and wonder what will show up . Would be nice if they had a catalog for the custom side . I think the cost of the knives warrant it .

Gater

There are custom catalogs floating around out there. If you truely want an Emerson custom I would suggest the secondary market. Plan on spending some money, but you can satisfy the "urge" much quicker. If you can find an older Emerson custom I have found that the quality is obviously better on the older knives.

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

Dirk, you're right, I could see this custom production as a way of satisfying various customers or completely blurring the lines between a knife handmade by Emerson and a knife produced by Emerson. I still think it's a neat idea however.

Arkhamdrifter as I understand it is selling several folders in the For Sale forum, a 5, rare 6, 9, Viper 1

Jason

Hi Jason,

The CQC5, CQC9 and Vindicator have been sold!

The rare CQC6 is a very unusual piece. The only right hand grind CQC6. Originally made for a customer in India. I have sold this piece 3 times. The Viper 1 was also purchase from me, very clean knife. Both would be excellent addition's to an Emerson collection.

I have a CQC67, Viper 5, Vindicator and another CQC6 inbound.

Emerson's custom knives are strange. It seems the hunt is more desireable than the capture. I get about 80% of the ones I sell back in 6 months or less.

Les

Hey Les,
The hunt is definately part of it. I've been hunting the 6 for a couple of years. Now I have two of them, thanks to someone
smile.gif

I still need that ever elusive 5.
Regards,
David

Les, what do you think about this idea of introducing limited edition runs and custom production knives?

Jason

Jason,

Obviously Im all for limited edition runs. However, I think Emerson should no longer take orders, stop playing musical delivery dates, get out to the shop and honor his commitments.

Production Custom, that is a contridiciton in terms. This sounds like a technique to "cull the herd". Find out who really wants a custom knife and who will settle for a factory knife. Will these knives be marked appropriately. Or will they wind up the the CQC67's?

The good news is for those of you who own custom Emerson's is that the value of your custom Emerson's is going up!

The bad news is that it appears the limited production knives will be put before the current orders. If they are not going to be then it will be 5-7 years before these should be made.

Im waiting judgement as to see how the custom production knives will differ, the price and how they are going to be marked. Emerson has done this before, Las Vegas Classic 98. He sold several "prototypes" with factory handles and custom blades. Not that this was Emerson's fault, but other's misrepresented the knives as custom knives.

Unless Emerson makes the markings very distinctive, this could happen again.

Les

I remember those pre-production CQC7s with blades ground by Emerson but production handles. People were selling them as full custom knives. By the time Emerson got to NY however he was thoroughly explaining exactly what they were.

Jason Yang

Hi Jason,

As I said, it wasn't Emerson's fault. However, this did not get those people their money back and it left a bad taste in their mouths towards not only Emerson's knives but custom knives in general.

This is why it is imperative that there be two distinctive marks.

Les

Does anyone know approximately how many customs are out there for each or some of the models. I always hear low numbers for several models and am wondering if anyone has a number for the more popular models.

Jason

Back