Custom SAK Makers?

Are there people around who customize Victorinox Pioneers?

I travel internationally all the time and I realized I could streamline my carry with a Pioneer X if the blade were removed, replacing it with an inline phillips instead.

I found someone that works with 91mm, but not 93. I didn't even know there was a difference.

1. Pioneer X - https://www.victorinox.com/global/e...es/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Pioneer-X/p/0.8231.26

2. Replace blade with an inline phillips head? https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Screwdriver-Phillips-Inline

Be advised that the inline Phillips is much thicker than other blades. As far as I know there is no 93mm spring that will work for it. I did mine by using two opener springs and shimming the Phillips to ride on both. You would also lose the awl that rides on the other end of the spring for the blade.

I'll take that under advisement... so far I've had no trouble throughout Asia and Central America with EMT scissors and the smaller version of Vic's scissors.

Be advised that the inline Phillips is much thicker than other blades. As far as I know there is no 93mm spring that will work for it. I did mine by using two opener springs and shimming the Phillips to ride on both. You would also lose the awl that rides on the other end of the spring for the blade.

What about the 91mm cap lifter/wire stripper/phillips? https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cap+Lifter

Robert Lessard is the best there is, but to my knowledge he no longer modifies 93mm knives; instead, he makes 91mm knives using titanium scales he mills himself. He’s pricey (your knife will cost you north of $300), but he’s the best. He even makes his own springs when the tool combo requires it.

One thing you might consider: The can opener works pretty well as a Phillips driver; in fact, I prefer it to the inline driver, which really only works well for #2 screws. If you can live with that, all that would be required is to delete the blade layer, which is a pretty simple task that a lot of folks could do for you. In fact, if you have a drill press (or a very steady hand) you could do it yourself.

FWIW, my flying “knife” is a Climber with the blade layer and awl removed. I’ve had no problems boarding flights in the US, although I have had to open all the implements for a befuddled TSA agent who had a hard time getting his head around the fact that my “knife” wasn’t a knife. I like this “knife” so much that I made myself a “pocket scissor” last week.

Edited to add: After doing this simplest of modifications I came to the conclusion that Robert’s prices are more than fair. It’s one thing to do this for fun, but it’s quite another when you’re doing it for money (and making sure you’re giving your customer a high-quality product).

36CD8881-1F4A-4614-A091-883964A9632F.jpeg
AC3130D5-2DAE-4C8A-BC0D-6B578BBAC7AE.jpeg

014912EC-71ED-4A36-9EDE-3051C5E2958B.jpeg

Last edited:
The only cap lifter/wire stripper/Phillips I see in that article is the 58mm version. The little experience I have with 58mm SAKs leads me to doubt that tool would fit the 93mm frame or springs.

I found a phillips on this knife: https://www.victorinox.com/global/e...ium-Pocket-Knives/Traveller-Lite/p/1.7905.AVT

Would that be too wide? It looks like it is fitting in on the left with several other tools.

Plus I've been getting confused about the same tool in different versions decade over decade.

The Phillips driver is wider than the blade (you’ll notice it is always paired with the magnifying lens or the light), and the tang is shaped differently than that of the blade, so the blade spring wouldn’t work with it.

There are simple mods and not-so-simple mods. Fitting a 91mm in-line Phillips into a a 93mm frame falls into the latter category.

If you look closely, you can see what it takes to add the 91mm layer Phillips to the 93mm frame. It isn't easy or simple, but it can be done. That Phillips is a shorter piece from a newer Explorer with the clear frame around the magnifier. The older ones wouldn't fit that way.

I found a phillips on this knife: https://www.victorinox.com/global/e...ium-Pocket-Knives/Traveller-Lite/p/1.7905.AVT

Would that be too wide? It looks like it is fitting in on the left with several other tools.

Plus I've been getting confused about the same tool in different versions decade over decade.

What you don't really see in that picture is the Phillips is on the other end of the spring for the LED light, which is about twice as thick as the other blades. It's the same one that I used on the mod above.

Just curious...is it possible to custom a Victorinox Cigar 36 by replacing the nail file with a cap lifter...or to make the ultimate cigar SAK by replacing the nail file with the the cigar circular punches to the Cigar 79? a super duper smoker multi-tool would also have a tamper for pipes (the plastic toothpick can be replaced with a metal one so it can be used as scraper/needle).

These are the things I think of in my spare time....lol

show_image.php

I gave up smoking about 40 years ago, so I've never looked at either of those models closely. Victorinox pairs specific tool sets to specific springs, so many tool combinations are just not possible unless you have the ability to make new springs as needed.

Back