Custom Shop Mirror Polish

Can you please tell me, on custom knives with a polished blade - does everyone have about the same polishing quality as in the photo? To be honest, I consider it extremely low :(

I want to order a custom knife, but the quality of the "mirror" polish scares away

LTvT7Zd.jpg

I vaguely recall that 425m sometimes did not mirror polish all that well compared to 420HC that replaced it about 1992 but can't support the statement.
That said, many of my Aurum etched blades from the 80's show excellent polishing.

I do see the issue and understand your concern..... but....I wonder about your knife shown here. Could you tell us a little more about it? Are you sure the polish is factory? My gut tells me it is not. Factory blades are MP before the handle and guard is applied and tend to show some blending on the tang stamp. Your tang stamp is still very 'crisp' which suggests to me the polishing was done after the fact.

Last edited:
My very first Pete's custom knife shop buck 110 is polished 420hc,and it is by far the nicest polished blade I've ever seen.I have saw some other bucks with polished blades and they were not as nice as my old 110.

I vaguely recall that 425m sometimes did not mirror polish all that well compared to 420HC that replaced it about 1992 but can't support the statement.
That said, many of my Aurum etched blades from the 80's show excellent polishing.

I do see the issue and understand your concern..... but....I wonder about your knife shown here. Could you tell us a little more about it? Are you sure the polish is factory? My gut tells me it is not. Factory blades are MP before the handle and guard is applied and tend to show some blending on the tang stamp. Your tang stamp is still very 'crisp' which suggests to me the polishing was done after the fact.

A knife from this topic, I just gave it as an example https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wild-and-unusual-buck-knives.1742895/page-4#post-19937760
I met other photos and videos on YouTube with about the same polish quality. If I see it again, I'll show it.

Just my opinion but that's a good example of mirror polish. Is there something more polished than that? I am curious why it would be considered low quality? I own a lot of mirror polished knives from different manufacturers covering different eras, and they all look pretty similar to me. There are a few ways to mirror polish a blade. I own 3 Buck's with the MP and they look to be polished by hand on a buffing wheel. A company like Victorinox and Case does it by tumbling their blades which also rounds out a lot of the spine and tang. But the end results are still pretty similar. If it's not to your liking a tube of Flitz is like $8.

I have a 110 in 420hc mirror polished. I'll try to remember to post it tonight......unless I find a pic of it I posted awhile back.

Just my opinion but that's a good example of mirror polish. ... I own 3 Buck's with the MP and they look to be polished by hand on a buffing wheel.

Agreed. The example posted looks pretty sweet to me. I like the idea of knowing it was polished by hand by a craftsman at Buck HQ.

420HC takes a mirror polish very well. other steels tend to get those waves and striations. I'd say the OP knife was done before assembly due to the roll over where the blade meets the guard. Any idea what type of steel?
We polish on a buffing machine which mimics hand polish.

I have no information on the knife pictured, I picked this up off the Bay about 4 years ago and the seller was John Foresman, President of BCCI. I attached a few pictures from the sellers listing.

us8FNxN.jpg

MSyIWEw.jpg

ITInHuP.jpg

Is there something more polished than that?

Oh, I get away with polishing (at the amateur level), but even I get something like this result. Therefore, I decide whether it makes sense to take a blade in a custom mirror shop, or take an ordinary satin and polish it myself, and it will be much better.

For comparison - before and after.

And yes, I don't mention a company like Rockstead

c986d5134a84.jpg
16f05f86c9c9.jpg

Back