Custom Shop Problem

I went to the custom shop to order a 110 and I noticed I couldn't put nickel silver bolsters on it. The only choice was brass. Did they discontinue the NS?

OH NO OMG
that means you wont be able to touch a user nickel frame
on any auction site now !!!
dang the sky is falling ! look out!!!

Bummer....I'm ordering one soon too. It HAD to happen right before my first custom.

Gotta be a glitch......can't be true.

No logical reason such a thing would happen.

Is there?

Oh man! I was going to order a CKS 110 soon and for a certain reason it had to be NS! Now I've got to rethink everything, or not order!

Now, if they were to offer mokume bolsters instead of NS, all would be just fine with me.

Per email from Buck: The nickel silver bolsters are not available now and it could be "quite awhile" before they are.

It is so much fun to put a fantasy knife together pf store. I don't want to admit how many knives I've built and not bot.

The 110 NS on their web special page looks better all the time for $45!!!!

10-15-2010001.jpg

They are sweet. Very nice. A bird in the hand.

Per email from Buck: The nickel silver bolsters are not available now and it could be "quite awhile" before they are.

A company likes to supply a demand. I'd like to think that they are coming up with a silver-like bolster that doesn't scratch as easily as NS.

I guess this means I won't be ordering a CKS knife soon. At least, not the one I had envisioned. I have to rethink this whole thing.

10-15-2010001.jpg

They are sweet. Very nice. A bird in the hand.
Funny, in the photo that looks like brass. Cameras can lie. :D

This does make me look forward with greater anticipation to the 2010 BCCI 110 and the three paperstone BCCI 110's I ordered.

Last edited:
Better lighting. One is brass and one is nickel silver. Which witch is which?

No hurry. Take your time. Tic tic tic tic...

LOL

Is that engraving or contouring on the rear bolster or is that a reflection?

Is that engraving or contouring on the rear bolster or is that a reflection?

That would be my fingerprint/discoloration/tarnish (tarnish on brass, which is zinc & copper combined, is as right as rain).

Good question.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, the newish brass door handles in and out of my house don't do this because they have been coated with a metal such as zirconium, palladium or nickel. The manufacturers claim a lifetime warranty against tarnish on such hardware. No polishing, always bright, but then no patina/antique over time.

Is anyone doing this for knives? I understand that the process can take place in a vacuum and that the metal coating is thin on the molecular level of measurement. I wonder how the plating would hold up on a pocket knife out in the world? It might be quite a benefit on those safe queen collector knives. Has Buck looked into using this technology?

It is really too bad that knives don't take on personality traits, instead of just fingerprints, like the sharp mind of the carrier puts a sharp edge on the blade. :D

Vacuum Deposition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_plating

Ion Plating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_plating

Back