Custom Terrio Knife Review

DerekH

Handsome According to my Mother
Way back when, when the Becker chatroom was still populated by heathens and reprobates, Mr. Terrio and myself embarked on a discussion of custom knifery. Pictures of already made pieces were perused, ideas were pontificated, and an idea was settled upon. Some time later, more specifically at the last Becker Gathering, I got this baby put into my hand. I had ordered it without a sheath (as I have been known to make my own hither and thither) so I whipped up a quick kydex rig for it (as seen in the pics, not my best work, but it does the job) and carted it around for the weekend. Unfortunately, that was really the only chance I have had since then to use it, but it dawned on me that I had yet to even post a proper picture of it. So here we go.

16662053972_c75584b0b8_b.jpg

Not the best pictures I have ever taken, but they work.

16663081825_1509928eb4_b.jpg

James did something really interesting with this knife which I have never seen elsewhere.

16040961474_015cedfb92_b.jpg

The entire knife has a full axial bevel, which I think is pretty darn cool.

It is a slicey knife, pointy as heck, and sharp as the dickens. Made of CPM154 it is a fine stainless blade and I think it will serve me very well for quite a long time. The handle fits my hand like it was made for it (which is surprising since he lives over five hours away) and it has another interesting feature as well. If I hold the knife like normal, it just melts into my hand, which is awesome. The incredible part is that if I rotate the knife 90 degrees, it does the same thing. In fact, if I turn it 180 degrees, it does the same thing, or 270 degrees. It naturally indexes every 90 degrees in my hand and just melts into my grip. I can't wait to get this sucker out into the woods once the weather takes a turn for the better. All that to say if you need a custom knife, James Terrio is an excellent choice.

James did something really interesting with this knife which I have never seen elsewhere...

16040961474_015cedfb92_b.jpg

The entire knife has a full axial bevel, which I think is pretty darn cool.

Of course, I did not invent the full axial taper :) It's been around a very long time in forged pieces and many kitchen knives are made that way today.

The main advantage is that it gives you the maximum possible sharp edge, without a plunge or ricasso. It also helps with balance in much the same way as a distally-tapered tang.

The main disadvantage is, it doesn't provide much of a guard. This is definitely not a knife for stabbing through car doors ;)

OK well....

There is absolutely nothing I don't like here... This blade is very awesome and very well thought out! Everything from the grind, blade shape, to the handle I love! Also the full axial taper is wickedly cool... I like this very much. Nice job James and nice blade Derek.

Do you mind posting up some dimensions?

OK well....

There is absolutely nothing I don't like here... This blade is very awesome and very well thought out! Everything from the grind, blade shape, to the handle I love! Also the full axial taper is wickedly cool... I like this very much. Nice job James and nice blade Derek.

Do you mind posting up some dimensions?

Length is 8 1/16"
Width is a hair under 5/32"
Blade length is right at 4"

Very nice:thumbup: If I ever do pony up for a custom (other than my own that is) you are at the top of list James.

I love it. A custom cutting tool made for actually cutting things.
I could easily picture one of those in my hands.

Glorious. Really dig that axial taper.

Did you guys come up with a name for it?

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I like this design too... as Mack said, it's just meant for cutting things. I should probably make more...

I'm awful at coming up with knife knames. I'm certainly open to suggestions. :)

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I like this design too... as Mack said, it's just meant for cutting things. I should probably make more...

I'm awful at coming up with knife knames. I'm certainly open to suggestions. :)

how about the sneer or the smirk?

Back