Custom Wood Scales On My Production Knives

draggat

Gold Member
Hi all, I just wanted to share some pictures of scales that I made for a few of my production knives. Recently I had some money to buy another knife, but instead I decided to buy some wood and pimp some of the ones I have (with varying degrees of success:eek:)

Lone Wolf knives are really underrated, in my opinion. Now that Benchmade acquired them, they totally cheapened them, much to my chagrin. I'm on the lookout for another Longhorn and Blackfoot (Pre Benchmade and plain edge only). If you have one that you want to get rid of, let me know! I thought these would be easy to make scales for. I was right and wrong.... The insides required quite a bit of milling, especially the Diablo. The Diablo shown here is a manual version, but it is almost identical to the double action version. The only difference is a missing backspring, sear, a couple of screws.... Unfortunately it can't be turned into an auto because the stop pin extends into the scale that slides on the D/A version and the tang of the blade has extra material that would need to be removed.

I don't really have any knowledge of woodworking and most of the equipment I used was borrowed. Here's my results!

Lone Wolf Blackfoot in layered black/gray G10. My first attempt. Not perfect, but not half bad either. G10 is a great starter material because it's super cheap and easy to cut. Not very pretty IMHO.
LoneWolfBlackfootG10.jpg

My next attempt was a Lone Wolf Vallotton and a Lone Wolf Longhorn in Cocobolo. The wood is fairly easy to work with and it's cheap so if you screw up, no harm done. Not very attractive though. It's pretty wild to see the oil bubble out while cutting it with a dremel!

LoneWolfLonghornCocobolo1.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornCocobolo2.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornCocobolo3.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornCocobolo4.jpg

After I'd finished the Longhorn, I got cocky and decided to get some prettier wood. The next attempt was the Benchmade Mini Dejavoo in desert ironwood. It didn't turn out so well. In addition to drilling the pivot countersink wrong, a corner chipped off and I was unable to clamp it while it dried so there's a line where it cracked. Then I found some really bad hairline cracks..... Win some, lose some.

BenchmadeMiniDejavooDesertIronwood1.jpg

BenchmadeMiniDejavooDesertIronwood2.jpg

BenchmadeMiniDejavooDesertIronwood3.jpg

BenchmadeMiniDejavooDesertIronwood4.jpg

BenchmadeMiniDejavooDesertIronwood5.jpg

BenchmadeMiniDejavooDesertIronwood6.jpg

Rather than give up, I continued with the H&K 14210 in desert ironwood. I'm pretty happy with this one. No major issues other than the figure of the wood could be a little nicer. The axis lock presented new problems because of the precise milling that was necessary on the backside, but somehow it worked out.

HK14210DesertIronwood1.jpg

HK14210DesertIronwood2.jpg

HK14210DesertIronwood3.jpg

HK14210DesertIronwood4.jpg

HK14210insidescales.jpg

At this point, I decided to redo the Blackfoot. I EDC it quite a bit and the G10 was pretty ugly in comparison to these new exotic woods. Here it is in box elder burl, stabilized and dyed green.

LoneWolfBlackfootBoxElder1.jpg

LoneWolfBlackfootBoxElder2.jpg

LoneWolfBlackfootBoxElder3.jpg

LoneWolfBlackfootBoxElder4.jpg

LoneWolfBlackfootBoxElder5.jpg

Hot on the heels of my previous two successful builds, I decided to do my Benchmade Mini Onslaught in redwood burl, stabilized and dyed grey. This thing was incredibly difficult for me. One of the scales moved a little while I was drilling the holes so I had to adjust them a little. also, a piece cracked off right by the axis lock. Fortunately, I was able to clamp it well using regular gorilla glue. It seems to be fine... I did a ton of sanding on it afterwards and even I can barely see where it broke. Not perfect, but perfectly usable. I have the carbon fiber version of this knife too, and it's amazing how different they feel in hand. This redwood burl has a kind of metallic iridescent quality to it which is really hard to capture on camera.

BenchmadeMiniOnslaughtRedwood1.jpg

BenchmadeMiniOnslaughtRedwood2.jpg

BenchmadeMiniOnslaughtRedwood3.jpg

BenchmadeMiniOnslaughtRedwood4.jpg

BenchmadeMiniOnslaughtRedwood5.jpg

I already screwed up... Just hadn't realized it yet! LOL!!
Redwoodburlblockscutting.jpg

Redwoodburlblocks.jpg

Here's where it broke.
BenchmadeMiniOnslaughtRedwoodWhoops.jpg

The next knife that I was originally going to do was an H&K 14205, but after all of the problems on the Mini Onslaught, I decided to shelve that knife and use the wood for a Lone Wolf Diablo. This one turned out really neat. It's the same stabilized redwood burl that at I used on the Mini Onslaught, but for whatever reason, it has much better contrast on the knife.

LoneWolfDiabloRedwood1.jpg

LoneWolfDiabloRedwood2.jpg

LoneWolfDiabloRedwood3.jpg

LoneWolfDiabloRedwood4.jpg

LoneWolfDiabloRedwood5.jpg

LoneWolfDiabloRedwood6.jpg

I tried to upload too many photos in one post, so here's the best for last!

I really liked the textured cocobolo scale I had made for the Longhorn, but the figure of the wood is pretty boring, so I decided to redo this one too. I liked the knife quite a bit before, but now it's one of the favorites in my collection. Here she is wearing box elder burl, stabilized and dyed blue.

LoneWolfLonghornBoxElder1.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornBoxElder2.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornBoxElder3.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornBoxElder4.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornBoxElder5.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornBoxElder6.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornBoxElder7.jpg

LoneWolfLonghornBoxElder8.jpg

I'd like to make more, but I won't have any access to the right equipment for the next 3 months or so. :(

Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoyed looking at these as much as I enjoyed making them, despite the occasional swearing in the shop! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Almost forgot.....

I want to say thank you to all of the forum members who answered my questions and offered their help. I wouldn't have been able to do this without you guys!

Thanks! Hopefully by the end of the year my skill level will have improved enough to offer my services to other members here.

I was excited to see someone try custom scales for the mini dejavoo, which is my current favorite edc knife. Mine goes with me everywhere. It will be interesting to see if you try again. I will definitely be watching. Great job so far, by the way.

I'm prefer G10 scales but you did some nice work. The lone wolf diablo looks awesome.

The last two pictures of the Longhorn show how precisely your wood scales follow the frame of the knife. PERFECTLY
The wood nicely replaces the g10.

Cowsmilk, I will definitely be doing the Mini Dejavoo again. It's one of my favorites. In fact, I really love all of these knives, with the exception of the Vallotton. After seeing how impressive the wood on the Longhorn looks, I think I'll be trying dyed box elder (and buckeye) burl again.

Whenever I get everything set up again and rolling, I will let everyone know. I would like to make scales for anyone that wants them at some point.

Incaorchid: the outlines on the last knife aren't quite perfect.... They're just a hair oversized, but I think it looks better that way than undersized!

that's some beautiful work! I know it can be a bitch to make wooden scales for AXIS lock knives.
now I want to go and buy some wood to make scales from.

is there any type you can recommend?

that's some beautiful work! I know it can be a bitch to make wooden scales for AXIS lock knives.
now I want to go and buy some wood to make scales from.

is there any type you can recommend?

Yes, making scales for the axis locks was a serious PIA, but it was worth it to me. The only woods I've worked with are the ones shown here. Of those, the box elder burl was the easiest. I didn't experience any chipping with it and it's easy to shape and cut. The redwood burl was just about as easy. Most of the information I've read says that if the wood needs to be stabilized, it should probably be done professionally. I have my eye on some nice buckeye burl next.

My reccomendation would be just to go slow and start with something inexpensive if you haven't made scales before. That way if you screw up, it's no big loss. Although it's not the most attractive, cocobolo is really inexpensive. I was able to get enough for about 6 knives for around $20, including shipping. It doesn't need to be stabilized and it's easy to work with. The benefit is that it will give you experience with wood so that when you move on to the expensive stuff you'll have more confidence and be less likely to screw up.

Great work!! I just started doing this, and its pretty hard to get right..buy worth it..

Those are fantastic. Are you interested in making scales for one of my knives?
Frank
Dallas
st4s "at" verizon.net

Back