Customer Conversation

Lorien you are way above my head with all the fighting techniques etc. that is a very weak area in my knife making which is why I dont fair well on USN. Everyone there is a knife fighter!

Ryan, all that talk about fighting techniques was him, edited to clarify. Sounded to me like an 18-24 aged dude with an active imagination. Thought about suggesting he use that imagination to figure out how to meet girls instead of how to be a sentry deanimating black ops agent :)

Hahaha Don't even get me started on Edge finishes, the micro serrations mangled a halibut filet but maybe that is what you want when cutting your way out of a Megaladon! ... Never done a 1095 Handle Shane ;)

Sure, blame the tool ;) (Uh, and by tool I mean the knife :eek::eek:)

This reminds me of some conversations I've had in the past, where I was TOM. I can't believe the patience of the knifemakers I dealt with back then.

So . . . is that knife available? Because it's calling to me, singing the song of it's people in a way I'm finding difficult to resist. That blade is beautiful. I'm struggling to understand why he didn't want it . . . the liners just add character!

Aww now I feel bad! At least you give hope to all the TOM's out there! Shoot me a PM Kyp we may be able to work something out!

Be warned I charge extra for knives with "Character" :)

the sheath looks cool :)
Got figure out how to get a Hamon on kydex :)

Sorry you had to go through that my friend.

Conversation continued today... I believe I stooped to his level a little bit!

**** Mar 9th, 2014 ****
TOM:
Hey I have a question that you may or may not be able to answer. What book or books would you recommend for someone who has never made a knife before and wants to learn?

Ryan W. Knives
You should probably "go to a different hopefully better and more understanding maker" with that question...

TOM:
Just a question but if you insist
Didn't say that you sucked just said I'll look elsewhere since you insisted
Sorry I listened!

Ryan W. Knives
TOM... if I may ask how old are you?

TOM:
I believe you sent the message first asking me to look elsewhere

Ryan W. Knives
... I have a policy not to sell knives to anyone under a certain age! I hope you find a knifemaker that you can work with.

And this is why I don't take custom orders anymore except from return customers, or people I already know. What a pain.

I wouldnt dwell on it to much Ryan. For what its worth I think you handled it very well. Unfortunately there are people that you will never make happy despite your hardest efforts. Im sure anybody that sells there wares on this forum has had "one of those guys" I know Ive had my share. :rolleyes:

:abnormal:15yrs old that explains a lot i bet if he called you on the tele first you probably would had got a sense that things were heading south.Btw not saying all 15yrs old are dizzy like Tom

I know im late to this, but that is a beautiful knife.

And 50 off because of the handle liners?? :eek: The knife still looks great, I would have thought i hit the lottery and stalked the mailman until it arrived.

I'm 13; I just completed a very straight forward custom knife order myself. Has this kid ever even had a knife before? It doesn't sound like it.

People ought not be allowed to have nice knives if they don't even know what they want.

Last edited:
I know im late to this, but that is a beautiful knife.

And 50 off because of the handle liners?? :eek: The knife still looks great, I would have thought i hit the lottery and stalked the mailman until it arrived.

I'm currently stalking my mailman waiting on it to arrive. :D

It likes it's new home, I think.

Su77FuI.jpg

m9zv74F.jpg

Very nice, you didnt wait long to put that thing to work!! should have a nice patina in no time using it for onions and potatoes, thanks again Josh really glad it found a nice home!

Very nice, you didnt wait long to put that thing to work!! should have a nice patina in no time using it for onions and potatoes, thanks again Josh really glad it found a nice home!

Haha, typically the first thing my knives see is a bit of kitchen work, and I had vegetable soup to make last night. It chopped onions, potatoes and garlic quite happily, and you're absolutely right; it's already got a nice blueish patina started!

I love this knife, Ryan. It's gorgeous, I love the feel and balance, it's got great fit and finish, came shaving sharp, and the design is just superb for everyday use. This will probably be my new EDC for the weekends, when I can actually carry a fixed blade. Damn office job.

Great job on the sheath, too, Dave! This is the second sheath of yours I've had, and it's even better than the last. I also didn't realize how much Tek-loks had changed since my last one. They're much nicer these days.

Thanks again, Ryan, for a great deal on a great piece of craftsmanship.

Last edited:
Back