Customised SAK Handles.

I love my SAKs but I am not too crazy about the plastic handle scales.. Planning on butchering my Waiter to replace the plastic with antler scales. Anybody try this?

Tips and advice would be greatly appreciated, expecially an adhesive suggestion.. Thanks in advance.

We started a new forum!
ThreadMoving.jpg

Go to the link in my profile for my homepage and look at the ones Dirk (OUPA) has done there. He can breath new life into any SAK and did my own for me also. Well worth it as he is quite good.

If you want to do them yourself he is the one to speak with as he has done countless SAK handle upgrades.

STR

I need a bit of help on this subject as well.

It's been quite a while since I actually made anything of significance from wood. What steps do I take and what tools do I use to make it easy is what I'm wondering.

I know, take of the scales and draw on the wood you're starting with. Then cut and shape it with what? Thanks.

I'm in the middle of this project right now, as a matter of fact. I just whittled some scales this afternoon. So you need a sharp knife and then some sandpaper. (For antler, I honestly don't know. Wood is easy, though, at least if you pick an easy wood :) ) The plan is to epoxy the wood scales to the bare metal sides of the SAK. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike

I did an SAK rehandle awhile back. I'm sure you have seen a pic of it in the pimp thread. So, I am by no means an expert. I haven't messed around with the toothpick, tweezers slots yet, just straight rehandle.

The most important thing I did was to drill a tiny hole through the old scales where the studs attach. I then am accurately able to mark the new hole locations on the wood, and get them drilled for depth. That makes fitting the new handles as you go much easier. Then of course, sandpaper and epoxy. Make sure your sanding of the flat of the handle is done uniformly, otherwise there will be hills and valleys, ripples, etc. and you will see them pop out when you get down to smooth.

I use a number of tools, such as a dremel with a sanding drum, tabletop belt or disc sander (watch your fingers ), or good old elbow grease.

Really nothing to it.

Good luck.

Glenn

Back