Customized Blade Etchings

I have been trying different techniques of etching for quite some time now and have more or less developed a proprietary method (after dozens of hours toil). I really love the way the knifes are turning out now. It is a very long and tedious job etching the way I do, one must be very scrupulous and attentive because any moisture or other contaminate will cause cloudy translucent grey spots... which will lead to you uttering terrible profanities knowing all the hours you invested into the blade were in vain. Needless to say it requires patience and finesse with the hands , but when I finish an intricate design and behold the beauty of the ornate patterns gleaming and dancing around in different angles of light I know it was all worth it. For now a knife exists that has no counterpart or rival, it cannot be compared to the stock factory model anymore. It is a personalized unique extension and expression of the owner, like a tattoo in some regards.
I haven't seen anyone doing this type of intricate etching nor using the methods I have developed (probably because I developed them) Let me know what you think and if you are interested in having work done message me. Here are some of the knives I've recently done in no particular order (all of which have been sold sorry)
33073127363_f3c46f550d.jpg
31782240483_ca1eb45304.jpg
31750368384_f550b40ffb.jpg
32688810151_7888802bd9.jpg

Very nice.
Research Shaw-Liebowitz or Leonard Liebowitz.

WOW!! That is definitely some amazing engraving done by the Liebowitzs.The gold inlay is gorgeous. I'd love to see an opal or some other lustrous gemstone in the handles of their work, that in my opinion would be amazing.

I have another one aswell. Its a high quality OEM D2 billet with scalloped/ribbed dark emerald green & black micarta slabs. I'll post a video and some pictures of the knife later.

I wish I could have a larger platform to showcase my work. When I post pictures and threads it only gets a few dozen views. :( If you like what I've done could you please share this link with other knife lovers to help showcase and disseminate my work. Thanks!

MythrilBlades, you are an absolutely talented artist. I just am starting to figure out acid stonewashing, which couldn't be more elementary, and I still can't get it just right. Then here you are looking like a complete rockstar! Exceptional work! Any tips my way would be completely appreciated!

Thank you for the kind words.

I find if you are using pure ferric chloride the higher the temperature of the solution the more metal will be eaten away. Also you can play with different levels of other substances in you etching solution such as different ratios of de-ionized water, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar etc.

Thank you for the kind words.

I find if you are using pure ferric chloride the higher the temperature of the solution the more metal will be eaten away. Also you can play with different levels of other substances in you etching solution such as different ratios of de-ionized water, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar etc.

How about sulfuric acid?

I have never tried sulfuric acid though I'm sure the results would be interesting. I once tried etching aluminium and it ate away a good 45% of the metal, I was not very happy about that.

I've had decent results with Ferric, and another maker recommended sulfuric. I've tried it once. Very agressive action and gassing. Seems I get a very dull finish from both, unfortunately.

I've had decent results with Ferric, and another maker recommended sulfuric. I've tried it once. Very agressive action and gassing. Seems I get a very dull finish from both, unfortunately.

I’ve use muriatic acid mixed 50-50 with water for years to eat scale off of steel. It’s probably as caustic as sulfuric acid but very effective even cut with water.

Nitric acid is what the old masters used.
Strong stuff.

Back