customizing a SAK

my sak cybertool has come in handy many times so I'm thinking about showing it some love and customizing it, see if I can make it a little more unique/interesting. I googled around and found this site:

http://www.strassburgerweb.com/victorinox/customhandles/#

they sale scales for saks that you put on yourself, I'm considering ordering some to try out. I've also thrown around the idea of making my own (I love diy projects, one of these days I'd like to try my hand at knifemaking too) but right now I don't I have the tools I'd need. I also googled around for sheaths but couldn't find anything like what I have in mind. I'd like a small leather, quick draw style sheath I could wear on my belt. has anyone come across something like that for a sak? I might have to get a custom sheath made... and finally, going to get some leather and make a cool fob for it. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Check out www.sosakonline.con I saw a customized SAK that some one had put together for just the same reason. Lot of information there. SAK.s are not hard to take apart and reassemble there is just one part that you seem to need a extra hand

Sosakonline.com is a great place, and if you click on the 'Rotokid's shop' tab you'll find all manner of scales for SAKs. On the 'other forum' you can join a group called SOSAK and find tons of information regarding mods to SAKs. There are 'how to' tutorials for just about any mod you would want to do. I can't send you email or PM, so send me one if you're interested and I'll send you a link.

click on the 'Rotokid's shop' tab you'll find all manner of scales for SAKs.

Rotokid does great work, he made these Elk scales for my Super Tinker.

SAK-ELK3.jpg

hmm, they seem to be sold out of horn and bone. might have to go with wood. by the way, very cool tinker.

Rotokid has a nice selection and good prices but I was rather disappointed that it took about a month for me to receive my order of bloodwood scales and a drill bit. :grumpy:

Conversely, I placed an order with felinevet and it was in my mailbox in less than a week. :thumbup:

I tried to order from the Strassburger site but I always get a PayPal error message.

You can see my custom SAK here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466657
bloodwoodsak1.JPG

Steve, looks good- I'm thinking about doing something similiar with a spare Climber. What are you using to reattach the scales?

think if I took the pins out and disected the knife I could rearange the posistion of the scrwdriver and pliers so the screw driver was centered?

think if I took the pins out and disected the knife I could rearange the posistion of the scrwdriver and pliers so the screw driver was centered?

I have 3 of them taken apart right now. I'm just waiting for my pin stock to show up so I can do a complete refit. From what I can tell the only thing you would have to look out for is if the tool your putting in the center is going to be covered by the other tools making it inaccessible.

I took apart a cheaper sak to see what the diffuculties of knife rearengment would be. everything seems to be fairl easy to move around. my worry though is I wouldn't be able the get the knife as tight again making for wobbly tools. also I think it would be cool to loose the tools I don't need (aka bottle opener) and make the knife thinner since the cyber tool 34 is almost absurdly bulky. but then I'd have the issue of the pins to deal with...

Thanks for the link. I might order some wood scales for one of my SAKs. I tried making my own and my first attempt didn't turn out so well. Might try again someday.

What I've been interested in for a while is getting some colored G10 (Thinking gray or blue) scales for my Nylon Solo.

hey guys,

sounds great.. i couldnt get onto the strassburger site either. does anyone know what the problem is there?
also.. what does it involve to change the scales? is it just as simple as prying the scales off with force and glueing new ones on?

hey guys,

sounds great.. i couldnt get onto the strassburger site either. does anyone know what the problem is there?
also.. what does it involve to change the scales? is it just as simple as prying the scales off with force and glueing new ones on?

The original scales pop right off. You need to get underneath them with a knife blade or small screwdriver.

Check this out:
http://www.swiss-knife.com/popups/V.W.PL.expl.EN.htm

I've tried before to order from Strassburger but their site has that Paypal error so I ended up making my own scales. You might want to email or call them if you really want to order from them. There prices for scales do seem reasonable. I had fun making my own scales but I did use up a lot of elbow grease. I would have gladly paid 25 bucks for professionaly made scales to be mailed to my house while I surf the net with a cup of coffee. :D

Back