Customs Laws?

I am in the USMC 0311 currently stationed on Okinawa. Due to current events I am in dire need of a couple of the knives I have back home. I was wandering is anyone can tell me what the Laws of American and Japanese customs are for having blades mailed from America to Japan. I do not want to have my knives confiscated. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

LCPL Patch EA

As far as I know you shouldn't have a problem with US Customs on the export from the US. However, I have no idea as to Japanese Customs import regulations and I hear they are much more restrictive.

Two suggestions:

(1) I've dealt several times with Murray Carter, who is a Japanese knifemaker of Canadian heritage. You might try asking him. His e-mail address is contained in a thread in the Knife Reviews and Testing Forum entitled "Murray Carter Muteki Camp Knife." He's at Blade Show West in California today, so he may not be home for a few days.

(2) If shipping your knives would be a big risk, consider buying one from Murray. It would be a domestic Japanese shipment so there shouldn't be a problem. His work is excellent. I know that military pay isn't good, but his prices are pretty reasonable.

By the way, a hearty welcome to Bladeforums! The people here appreciate what you all are doing for us.

Thanks for the advice. I will email him and ask his suggestions on importing. I will also take a look at his work.

I couldn't resist a second stop at Blade West today, so I asked Murray your question. He told me that several people have shipped knives to him in Japan (from the US) with no problems at all. He can't see why you'd have any difficulty getting your knives delivered to you. However, if you don't want to risk it or if you'd like to add to your collection, I still highly recommend Murray's work. Best of luck!

Does Japanese Customs even check U.S. Mail going to military addresses? I've shipped to military bases in Japan and it is my understanding that U.S. Mail destined for U.S. military bases through the military system does not go through customs.

Dean

Back