Cut Test

I recently used a Case stainless steel knife, a box cutter, and a SAK Tinker to cut a heavy duty cardboard box at work. The SAK out sliced them completely. Nothing scientific about it but the SAK really impressed me. I even sharpened the Case knife as well as I could but it still didn't match the SAK. Just another reason my Swiss Army Knife is my EDC.

Somewhere on the great 'net, is a video of some guy testing the SAK cutting. He takes a Sad, and cuts on some hemp rope and then slices paper. he cuts some more and says it probably won't cut the paper now, but it does, and he is surprised. He then cuts some more rope and tries the paper slice again. And again the SAK neatly slices the paper. He then cuts more rope and the SAK keeps in slicing the paper cleanly after each number of rope cuts. He talks about how he wasn't expecting that.

A few years ago I took delivery of a large sofa over at my sister in laws place while she was at work and couldn't take off. She had ordered it off the 'net, and it came literally cocooned in heavy duty cardboard. The truck driver and helper dropped it off and it was up to me to unwrap it. I had forgot the Stanley utility knife that I was going to do all the unboxing and breaking down the cardboard for the recycle bin. I used my SAK tinker. For two hours it cut, and then cut some more. Once I thought the edge was gone, but it was just glue buildup on the blade. Some Purrell hand sanitizer and a paper towel cleaned it off, and I finished the job. no sharpening needed.

People, especially knife nuts, always underestimate the cutting ability of a SAK.

Last edited:
Somewhere on the great 'net, is a video of some guy testing the SAK cutting. He takes a Sad, and cuts on some hemp rope and then slices paper. he cuts some more and says it probably won't cut the paper now, but it does, and he is surprised. He then cuts some more rope and tries the paper slice again. And again the SAK neatly slices the paper. He then cuts more rope and the SAK keeps in slicing the paper cleanly after each number of rope cuts. He talks about how he wasn't expecting that.

A few years ago I took delivery of a large sofa over at my sister inlays place while she was at work and couldn't take off. It came literally cocooned in heavy duty cardboard. I had forgot the Stanley utility knife that I was going to do all theunboxing and breaking down the cardboard for the recycle bin. I used my SAK tinker. For two hours it cut, and then cut some more. Once I thought the edge was gone, but it was just glue buildup on the blade. Some Purrell hand sanitizer and a paper towel cleaned it off, and I finished the job. no sharpening needed.

People, especially knife nuts, always underestimate the cutting ability of a SAK.

I have to agree SAKs slice amazingly and they hold their edge longer then people think. I was really impressed with my Tinker, I don't think I will underestimate it again.

I have a Victorinox trekker, and I don't like the fact that the serrations are at the front of the main blade, with a small section of plain edge at the back of main blade. I will say the the serrations will cut paracord far better other brands with more aggressive serrations. It is very adept at separating matter.

Got called into work right before christmas last year to help change belts on our big mixer. I got up in the manlift and watched one of the guys getting beat senseless by the Sawzall he was trying to use to cut the 3/4" v-belts. Told him to let me try and heard him start to laugh when i pulled out the small blade on my tinker. Two minutes and seventeen of those big, fat belts later, nobody was laughing but me. Cleaned it, hit it a quick lick on my pocket hone, and got back to business. Im also realizing more that maintenance is one of those jobs where knives go to die.

Got called into work right before christmas last year to help change belts on our big mixer. I got up in the manlift and watched one of the guys getting beat senseless by the Sawzall he was trying to use to cut the 3/4" v-belts. Told him to let me try and heard him start to laugh when i pulled out the small blade on my tinker. Two minutes and seventeen of those big, fat belts later, nobody was laughing but me. Cleaned it, hit it a quick lick on my pocket hone, and got back to business. Im also realizing more that maintenance is one of those jobs where knives go to die.

Awesome story!

I sometimes use a SAK on corrugated cardboard at at work, but only if the job is small or I'm too lazy to fetch a boxcutter with a snap off blade. I find the small blade, being thinner than the large blade, very good for this.

However, IME cardboard does dull SAK blades, perhaps not significantly for many purposes but certainly enough to affect cutting stretch pallet wrap smoothly, and for me wrapping pallets almost invariably comes with cutting cardboard.

We own a furniture store and 90% off the time we use box cutters as they're strategically placed throughout the store (as are tape measures) but, for those times which are somewhat plentiful I use my SAK's. The small pen blade is a slicing demon and for the most part will cut cleanly for a lengthy time. However most of the sofa/loveseats that come off the truck, the cardboard and plastic wrap is REALLY DIRTY, I mean sand, gravel, mud kinda dirty and of course that's the edge killer for any blade. Take the dirt and debris out of the picture and I don't notice excessive dulling on my SAK's:thumbsup::)

Back