Cutco Kabar

I just received a new Cutco Kabar Explorer (as a gift) and I was wondering if anyone here has been able to compare the Explorer to the 1095 carbon, 440a, or d2 extreme models. I don't own any other Kabars nor have I but I've been thinking that $200 seems a little bit much for something that you could acquire for around $70-$90. I was also wondering if this uses the same 440A that is in a lot of other Cutco knives.

I just received a new Cutco Kabar Explorer (as a gift) and I was wondering if anyone here has been able to compare the Explorer to the 1095 carbon, 440a, or d2 extreme models. I don't own any other Kabars nor have I but I've been thinking that $200 seems a little bit much for something that you could acquire for around $70-$90. I was also wondering if this uses the same 440A that is in a lot of other Cutco knives.

Welcome to the KA-BAR forum, and Bladeforums. Glad you stopped in with us.

Compare? Not really, its pretty much the same knife that Kabar had as the Next Gen Kabar. The item is now discontinued at Kabar, but Cutco keeps on crankin'em out.

The 440A is the same steel and same heat treat that Cutco has used for years. Good stuff, and takes a good heat treat.

How does it compare to 1095, and D2? Well, its gonna be more corrosion resistance for one, you might have to sharpen it a little more often than the D2, if you use it alot, but for the most part, it will be a rock solid, dependable knife for you. I do like the serration pattern better on the Explorer. :D

Kraton G handle, 440A stainless blade, powdered metal buttcap, an all around hit, for the woodsman.

What you choose to spend on a knife is up to you. My tastes get expensive sometimes, but for the most part, I want the most knife for the money. A knife like this will last you a long time, if you take care of it and don't abuse it.

Once again, welcome. Stick around and post some pics up for us, alot of folks don't know that Cutco makes a Fighting/Utility knife, thank you for bringing some light to shine on it.

Moose

Yep, love the serration pattern on those Cutco blades. They just cut so well! I've done my own cutting tests on manila rope between the standard Ka-bar serrations, the Cutco serrations on my kitchen knives, the SpyderEdge, Benchmade serrations, and Kershaw. It's actually kind of incredible how much better the Cutco "Double-D" edge is. I've been kinda wanting a wakizashi with the Double-D edge. That would be fun...

Thanks for the welcome moosez and thanks for the info! I'll be sure to post pictures up later. And hey, what would you suggest as a good sheath for this knife? How does the glass filled nylon stack up to the cordura as far as long term use and wear go?

Thanks for the welcome moosez and thanks for the info! I'll be sure to post pictures up later. And hey, what would you suggest as a good sheath for this knife? How does the glass filled nylon stack up to the cordura as far as long term use and wear go?

GFN will dull the blade, so, I would steer clear of that one.

Any sheath that will fit the Kabar 1200 series knives, will fit the explorer. Kabar has a new cordura sheath that is pretty badass, I say check that one out.

Moose

Thanks dude. I'll be sure to check out that cordura sheath after I rid myself of my becker problem. Have to space out the spending.

The CUTCO name means that it is a high quality high carbon stainless steel used. That are only supposed to be available through CUTCO reps so you cannot heat a knife like this anywhere else. The price is higher because of the quality do materials use. The knives are all made in America and made by hand with the assistance of machines ( no automated processes are used). I know this because I am a CUTCO sales rep, you are hearing this from the source.

Thank you CUTCO for lurking the forums and viewing members as prey. At least get a moderator account or something.

Back