Cutlass Scabbard

TekSec

Böse Messer
Okay, I'm committing myself to making a cutlass (Navy type) and can't find any info or tutorials on the construction of a scabbard for it. I want to do a leather style with sterling silver tip and cap also. The silver work I can accomplish, it's just the layering to achieve the actual scabbard I'm having issues with. Also, lacing the back of it I'm a little iffy on. Any advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

No advice but man am I looking forward to seeing that cutlass. Any chance of doing another tutorial?

Saw the beginning of the design in the other thread and it looks great. Good luck with the scabbard info. I'm interested in learning about this too and I know we has some people here that have done these.

Erik - I make mine with a heavy leather core and then cover with thinner leather and do a center seam - this can be a butted seam or a standing seam - you'll need a cuved awl blade and curved needles - I make my own cuved ones by heating and bending, but your can buy curved awl blades and needles.
Adding the silver drag (the tip) and the chaper (or throat) are then easy to do - most were held on by pins of the same material coming in from the back.
Give me a call if you want and we can talk it out more......

Good deal, Chuck. When I get closer to getting the blade done I'll give you a buzz. I just wanted to make sure about the materials I'd need so they'd be on hand when I start. What weight leather do you suggest for the inner core and the outer cover?

Erik - give me a call when you get a chance - easier to talk than type.....

Back