• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Cutlery corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a lot of negative comments about the knives sold on CC. I wanted to give my opinion on this company for anyone in the future needing feedback on the value and quality of their knives. I've spent several thousand dollars on knives from CC or frost cutlery. I!ve never purchased the big dealer sets bc they are cheap. Cheap handles, cheap steel and cheaply made. However, if u r selective, there are some great deals on quality knives. Every knife I have purchased from CC has been at least 440 stainless. German Bull, Kissing Crane, Hen and Rooster and even some of the Frost Family and Steel Warrior folding knives are unreal at what you get for the money. Some of my favorite handle material are buffalo horn, rams horn, ox horn, abalone, banana bone, mother of pearl. Some of their slabs of stag on fixed blades (Trophy Hunter) along with the 440 steel for $25-30 is untouchable anywhere else from what I have seen.

Go to their website and be selective if you do not want to by the 3 pack of knives they offer on TV. If u only like one of the 3, go to website and search for the knife by name and buy a single. Shipping is expensive if you purchase a $5 knife, but not if u spend at least $75 or more.
German steel is easy to sharpen and can get so sharp ,and I understand why it brings a higher price. However, I think some of the Chinese steel is pretty damn good, but is being overlooked just bc it is china. One last thing, I like Case, but talk about overpriced due to over-hype.

If u want value, purchase a German Bull swellcenter whittler in the stag or buffalo horn for 39 buck plus shipping (order more knives so that u get more for the money) and then tell me you think they sell a bunch of junk.

. One last thing, I like Case, but talk about overpriced due to over-hype.

Overpriced and overhyped? How so? They've been making quality, American knives for over 100 years. That's why they're spoken highly of. And they are NOT overpriced. Maybe the more exotic models, but their run of the mill knives are between 30 and 60 dollars.

You've really spent several thousand dollars on CutleryCorner knives? :rolleyes: Yeah, sure. That is a lie if I've ever seen one.

It's your first post on BFC and you spend it in GBU promoting the quality of Frost knives on Cutlery Corner?

That's like selling your virginity for a quarter.

Overpriced and overhyped? How so? They've been making quality, American knives for over 100 years. That's why they're spoken highly of. And they are NOT overpriced. Maybe the more exotic models, but their run of the mill knives are between 30 and 60 dollars.

Extol the virtues of CC/Frost and slam Case. Good combo. Add one more outrageous statement and he could have had the hat trick.

You've really spent several thousand dollars on CutleryCorner knives? :rolleyes: Yeah, sure. That is a lie if I've ever seen one.

Yeah, that one had me scratching my head a bit. Can't really imagine spending (wasting?) that much on their stuff.
Some of their stuff may be worth the very low price...yanno, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then....but overall its just not worth the risk.
I guess if you add in the inflated shipping costs you could run your total up. :D

I have bought a few Frost knives. I semi-collect the Doctor pattern and they do some with interesting handle materials and they are inexpensive. Never intend to do more with them than open an envelope and the quality certainly doesn't compare to a Case.

Suffering from insomnia, I frequently watch the show. Todd Boone is a decent salesman, though I sense he's sometimes uncomfortable with what he has to sell.
Shelia Travis is pleasant to look at and listen too, but unfortunately she is usually teamed with Tom O'Dell and his voice grates on me like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Mr. Frost is fun to listen to, sort of a jovial LT of the lower end knives. Love how they feel having him sign a sheath adds to the value.;)
I'll give him credit, he has managed to stay in business while others have come and gone.

I do know one thing for a fact. When they sell something w/o the Frost name(s), like Case or Kershaw, it can always be had much cheaper many other places.

And their swords. Oh my. Maybe someone will post the vid of the sales guy breaking one while just rapping in on the table and cutting himself. :eek:

I have a couple of the Steel Warriors and there's nothing at all wrong with them. You can keep in your pocket & use it and not have to worry. Fit and finish is definitely acceptable, very nice to look at, great feel in hand, there's good blade tension and it cuts. What's wrong with that?

Had to make a comment on this thread. One night while watching tv with my then 8 yr old he begged me to get something so i went for it and purchased one of those huge sets......... about 6 years ago. 95% is chinese garbage however there were a few patterns that ended up being much more durable than expected. I work in agriculture and go through knives like crazy so i started carrying a couple of these patterns as to not ruin or lose my good knives. In that situation that cheap set worked out and ironically i didn't lose my knife as much as i used to. . It's probably the best use for that stuff. I received some of their old knives in that set and they were made at a partner manufacturing facility in Japan. Those are actually good knives.

Also used some of there cheap knife blades in Chinese "440" steel to make some stainless damascus

You can get Rough Riders way cheaper from SMKW or the bay and they are better Chinese made knives.I recently bought a few knives from the local pawn shop and he forced me to take some new Frost lockbacks that were some of the junk from TV he couldn't sell.One i could close easily when "locked" and the others aren't much better.They were free,but i still felt like i took a screwin'.Best of luck pumping up the Cutlery Corner reputation around here.He has a niche,but we aint in it.

I too have knives from several "Brand Name" manufacturers which for the most part I am quite happy with, but don't count out the folks at CC just because of the Chinese manufacturing facilities or whatever you might happen to think of Jim Frost. They do sell some high quality brands on that show, Buck Creek and German Bull to name but two. As someone stated earlier the Steel Warrior pocket knives are pretty high quality for the price paid, but I have yet to buy a single knife from any company anywhere that has come as sharp out of the box as the Buck Creek congress knife I got from good old CC. As someone else stated earlier, I wouldn't purchase the large 100 knives for 100 bucks sets, but for smaller purchases or specific needs, this can be a pretty good source of good quality cutlery as long as you know what you are looking for.

Well that's my two cents worth, bring on the bashing:)

This thread is loaded with 1st time posters defending that dumb TV show selling junk knives for 3 times their value.Are you guys on break in the warehouse or what?

There will be no bashing here. What will happen is honest feedback on the junk "cutlery" (if you can call it that) peddled by the sales people on that show. Buy whatever you want, it's your money after all. Bt coming here and attempting to convince thousands of people that know better is a waste of time frankly. It's just not going to convince a whole bunch of people.

I will say that there is a difference between discussion of a company, providing legitimate points of interest regarding the products, and plain old shilling. I would recommend these new folks read and familiarize themselves with the rules of these forums so they understand how their posts are being received by the community at large. Proceed with caution.

They are just knives....in fact, as long as the knife is a solid piece all the way through the handle, then even the steel choice has its merits.....yeah, I've purchased cc knives, as well as some high quality stuff.....who cares, I have more knives then I do hands, so I'm sure I'm the real crazy one.....unless I plan on disappearing to the woods to twin lakes,Alaska, I'm sure myself and most people would survive some how if our knife broke doing chores in the back yard. .... ..even Chinese pocket knives can pop balloons ....pop!

This thread is loaded with 1st time posters defending that dumb TV show selling junk knives for 3 times their value.Are you guys on break in the warehouse or what?

Just because someone is a first time poster doesn't mean there stupid other wise 2000 and what ever posts ago you were a moron. Looks like you post to sell yourself which I have no problem with that (gets your name out) I like the blue handled one you have one fb. That said....

I have spent over a 1k with frost. I use to sell airsoft guns, stun guns and knives at gun shows. Business slows in the summer so you need to be creative. If you offer something for free people will buy, ask any salesperson. So we offered a free knife with a $5 purchase. Lowest thing over $5 I sold for $8 I had less then $1.5 in it, so a free knife ($1.3 my cost w/ S&H) was cool with me. The small one went the fastest (you could hook them on a key chain) the ladies loved them and a pink stun gun.

I loose knives all the time MY PRICEE knifes I will never carry. Except for my friend S&W I "borrowed" it. According to Webster Bar' row: A slow form of theft

I guess what I am trying to say is don't expect to sell them for what they say but I still have a couple. I think they are a great value for what you get. They stay together better then the other china made knives that sell wholesale for $4-5. They great for fishing and small game never gutted a deer with one. I drop at least 2 knifes a year in the water (no I wasn't drinking) I am a disabled vet and my balance isn't great.

One post here on the subject and I'm done.

I have a friend who bought the 125 knives. For $99.99, that's less than a $1 a knife!!!set, now here's an intelligent man, with a friend whose knowledgeable in the field of cutlery ;) buyin' what amounts to$100 with of junk and because he has a chef pro electric knife sharpener is perfectly content with his purchase and actually did down every weekend and sharpens the knives he dulled during the week.

He feels that for the price he has enough knives to last him the rest of his life, including givin' me to pick out of his new collection, surprisingly I found 2 knives, a frost mini hatchet Jack and a mini folding Hunter, both picked for novelty reasons, now my point here is there's apparently a market for CC and their type of marketing and sales, I know of about 10 people who have bought insta-collections from CC and all but 1 were happy.

I like the show myself and have watched it many nights at 3 in the mornin' when I couldn't fall back asleep, I believe it has entertainment value and a little educational content to, my one friend actually tried to engage me in an intelligent discussion on the purpose of different patterns and blade styles.

How many of you guys can honestly say you've never watched his show and chuckled or seen a knife and said, "eh that ain't a bad lookin' knife for the price." at least once?

Somebody's watchin...and buyin' from these guys otherwise they they wouldn't still be sellin' knives, now me personally,I wouldn't buy anything from them but again a lot of people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back