Cutting board: Synthetic Rubber and Hinoki

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is using with Japanese Carbon Steel knives Synthetic Rubber or Hinoki cutting board ? just wondering if they are better for the CS ones ?
i have been them for a while on my walnut and plastic ones but just wondering as looking to replace my plastic one and thinking maybe getting either one.

Thanks

Vadim

I primarily use a couple of hinoki cutting boards. I haven't tried the synthetic rubber (Hi-soft, Asahi, etc). I use the hinoki boards with stainless and carbon, Japanese, German, and others. They're just my standard cutting boards so I use them with everything. Just a casual home cook so they don't get a lot of abuse.

I use hi-soft for my kitchen needs and love them. Never going back to another board again. Have had a boos block, was too heavy for me to comfortably take to the sink and wash. Have used plastic, oxo, epicurean, random other ones, the hisofts are awesome.
I use a few high end knives (kono fujis, dt gyuto, tsourkan) and edge retention has been great. Only downside to the boards, imo, is the color. They have an off white/tan color and stain relatively easily. The stains are faded once you wash them but still doesn't look brand new.

Thank you !

I primarily use a couple of hinoki cutting boards. I haven't tried the synthetic rubber (Hi-soft, Asahi, etc). I use the hinoki boards with stainless and carbon, Japanese, German, and others. They're just my standard cutting boards so I use them with everything. Just a casual home cook so they don't get a lot of abuse.

Would you think there will be much difference with a walnut one ? the only one i see online have max a 1in thinkness but hope they don't warp easily.

I have two hinoki boards - both sold by Shun. The medium (3/4" thick) and the large (1" thick). Neither has warped. I treated them both with several applications of mineral oil before first use, I wash and dry after use. I alternate which sides of the board I use, and when I wash them off, I get both sides wet before toweling dry, and store them on their edges. I re-apply mineral oil every so often, maybe once a month or so.

I've not used a walnut board, I think all of my other wooden boards are maple. Hinoki is softer and the boards are very lightweight, making it easy to move them around and wash them. They will also show knife marks, so if you are a heavy-handed chopper, maybe not the right wood for you.

Alton Brown did a feature on cutting boards. Laminate end grain boards are the best for cutting non-meat items.

Synthetic boards for meats and

DON'T MIX THE TWO BOARDS.

Synthetic boards can be disinfected.

Brown notes that a laminate block board should be large enough for work, but not so large it won't fit in the sink for wash-up.

Butcher block boards are heavy and pricey, and worth every cent. End grain laminate boards don't develop slicing marks in normal use.

Back