Cutting carbon scales

My HSS saws are going dull very fast cutting carbon scales. Am I missing something or it's just the way it is? I'm using a jigsaw and it's a blade per scale almost.

I've never used carbon fiber but as sillly as it may sound cutoff discs on an angle grinder make quick work of G10. Of course the cut is not very pretty and semi-burnt šŸ˜¬

I've always wanted to try cutting plastic type scales on a wet tile saw..... has Anyone tried that?

I had a cheapy, a number of years ago, but I can't remember who I lent it to?

I bet it would work, and keep dust down?

Carbon fiber is extremely abrasive so the only blades which will work are carbide tipped blades. It is best to cut them wet because a lot of heat will be generated which may melt the resin.

diamond blade, wet tile saw...buy a cheapo one from HF. I use one for both G10 and CF. PSA, don't try to cut micarta on a wet saw.

gums up. better off cutting it with a regular bandsaw.

So I found one jigsaw blade with diamonds for stone and tile. Will try that. It's SWISS MADE so it must work, right? I hope it's not just an expensive chocolate! :D

I still encourage the use of the wet tile saw. Clean cuts, minimal splintering and no airborne dust (though there is some nasty sludge)

I still encourage the use of the wet tile saw. Clean cuts, minimal splintering and no airborne dust (though there is some nasty sludge)
I need curves. Got a Fatcarbon plate 3x the size of a single scale size, cut out 4 scales and got some leftover for a small EDC.

I've always wanted to try cutting plastic type scales on a wet tile saw..... has Anyone tried that?

I had a cheapy, a number of years ago, but I can't remember who I lent it to?

I bet it would work, and keep dust down?
Iā€™ve done it I have a decently inexpensive tile saw that Iā€™ll cut G10 and Carbon fiber on. It works very well.

Carbon fiber, G10 are very abrasive and without carbide youā€™ll burn through blades and drill bits.

If I canā€™t use a tile saw or I need to have curved cuts Iā€™ve used a carbide tipped bandsaw blade which has worked well and a carbide grit bandsaw blade which also works well. The blades are expensive but last a very long time.

I tried the tile saw years ago and it didn't do much to G10, or maybe I tried it with micarta? I may have to try it again.

I use M42 tipped blades on my Portaband and 14" wood bandsaw to cut G10, micarta and carbon fiber with no issues. iMachinist brand usually

Back