Cutting competetion at Batsons

fisk

National Living Treasure & Subject Matter Expert
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Any of you folks planning on entering this year?

I plan on being there. What are the blade requirements for the cutting contest this year? Lengths, widths, handle, etc. I hope we can get it done a little earlier this year:) .

Jerry H
Shore. I would love to have some of you guys enter. I think you have to pay for the weekend seminar which a lot of it pretains to both styles of knifemaking anyway or it may be that you can pay a small entrance fee. I will double check on that. Lots of stock removal knives cut just fine and it is good to see a varity of knives both for the contestants and for the spectators.

Specs are blade not to exceed 10" with overall length not to exceed 15 1/2". Handle must have at least one visable pin and thong hole in handle is required with thong attached. Thongs wrapped around the ferrule will not be allowed [Helicopter effect].

Another one I would love to see entered is more damascus blades. I have guys ask all time why does damascus not win in the events. It is because they are not entered. Anybody want to be the first to win with a stock removal blade or damascus blade? Step right up to the plate boys, oops and girl, Kathleen Tomlin entered last year. She did well. Changed her handle design a bit after entering which speaks well of her. She did more than just cut, she cut and learned.
jf

Where can I get details on this? Also what kind of cutting are we talking about? Rope, wood, nails, concrete... :) I assume, this is a test of knife strength as well as cutting ability. Dinged edges are a disqualification? Sounds like a fun time!

Fisk,

I own a damascus blade made by Ed Schempp that won a cutting contest in Oregon a couple years ago. I believe it was the only damascus blade entered into the competition and Ed told me his friends all thought he had effectively "cut" his chances of winning.

-Jose

Jerry H
None of the contestants will know what they are going to cut till it starts. I will tell you that we do not intentionaly set something up that will harm your blades. Now, you blade might fail to cut something and chip out but it is not designed to do so.
Any deformation, chips, wrinkles etc will disqualify the blade.
The events will change from year to year....maybe. You just never know. There will be a mix of events. From finess cuts to more difficult cuts. All will test the knife. Few if any of the events rely on brute strength. We prefer the knife to do this. If the 2x4 chop is there.....maybe....that will be some strength required. Some are very easy cuts to do.....maybe.
All in all it is a lot of fun. Most importantly it is a learning tool.
Oregon does a good rope cutting demo. Our competetion is an overall test of the knife.
I would suggest that you make/grind the knife to what you would deliver to the client.
jf

Why, why, WHY do I live in NYC?
I hope you all take (& post) lots of pictures :)

Heres the blade rules for the competition.
Bruce
"Jerry Fisk ms, Locksburg, AR & Mike Williams ms will conduct the Cutting contest. Bring your 10 inch blade camp or Bowie. Knife must have one visible pin and thong hole."

Ya'll better watch ol' Fisk. That boy will slip you a Mickey at these here cuttin' deals. Seriously tho,the cutting event is designed to favor the all around blade. We hope that contestants will share information with each other and with the other people attending the symposium. This is the way all of us benefit. The blades have evolved dramatically from the first such competition that was held. Anytime we can have fun, learn,and educate the public about what great knives can do, we all win. Hope to see all of you there. mw

Hey guys, I hope to be entering again this year with a new model. The old one "Bobbit Butcher" was sold at the Blade show.

Jerry,She had a really awesome looking small Bowie and was the only lady to enter the competition,when you sign up for the competition you give a name for the knife you are using and if you don't have one Mr.Fisk will think of a cool one for you.Since she was the only woman in the compotition Jerry and her gave the Bowie the name Of "The Bobbit Butcher" Us guys kind of shuddered when she cut with it to.
The compotition is allot of fun and we all get good laughs out of it.

Hope to see you there Kathleen,Good luck in the compotition again this year also.
Bruce

Hello, Jerry

Tell me that there will be some bricks for me to cut with those heavy K-100 chisel ground Gen1 blades and I'll be there!
Seriously, now, it is too bad that I can not attend such meeting but for this year's SPKS I am planning to introduce cutting competition and forging demonstartions at the hotel's parking lot.

but I wont.
You fellas have fun,I will be down to watch (maybe compete???) next year.

And Raker, go easy on Fisk ;) :p

I won't be there, but I just wanted to take this oportunity to welcome Kathleen to the forums. It is great to have you with us.

Back