Cutting wire and cable with a Leatherman Multi Tool

I'm curious to hear of people's experiences with using their multi tool (primarily Leatherman) to cut wire and cable. I use a lot of smaller guage wire and cable at work and have found that smaller stranded wire really binds up the numerous Leatherman multi tools I've tried over the years. Quite often they'll work fairly well new out of the box, but give them a little time of steady use and all of a sudden they won't cut anything smaller than a 12 awg solid wire. Also, and more importantly, is there a way to "tighten" a Leatherman's cutting edge or plier jaws so that it'll cut better? So far my only solution to fixing Leatherman's problem is to carry a SOG Powerlock. Thanks for any info!

First off I want to say that I am a Leatherman Guy and I have many years of using many different Leatherman models and I think they have got better with their new models. I used my Surge to cut a small lock into with no damage to the wire cutters. The new Surge and Core have a Cable Cutter that I have used to cut heavy wire, small cable and even metal coat hangers with no damage to the cutters on the tool.

I think if you go with the Core or Surge you will not have a problem with the wire cutters.

I hope this info helps you out!

Klein, Gerber, Leatherman, Chanelock, Greenlie,

don't matter...

...all wire cutters get dull over time.

just get the TiNi version of the Powerlock or the EOD model. The EOD states that it has a govt spec approved hard wire cutter... and the TiNi version is super hard already... either way you should be set.

My experience with wire cutters has been only with Leatherman for the sole reason that I only buy knives or multitools when they on sale at blowout prices. Somehow, that happens mainly with Leathermen around here.

Of the several I have accumulated, all cut any wire easily, but the only one ever used hard for the purpose is a Supertool (original) that has been clipping away these 7 years and holding up very well. Recently I have been using a Charge Ti. It works great on everything, including chain link fencing (of reasonable guage) but hasn't had enough use to determine how it holds up over time.

Maybe the Surge and Core will go on deep discount some day so I can try them out, but until then, what I have on hand suits me just fine.

Back