Cystern Khukuri

I saw a picture of the Cystern Khurkuri in Blade Magazine today (October issue) with a brass handle. The lady said it was solid brass. I went ahead and ordered one, because I never saw a handle like that. Does anyone else have one, and how do you like it?
Has anyone had any experience with this company? Thanks in advance for any info!

------------------
Jack Russell

Jack,
I have one of the Gurkha House (cystern.com) Deluxe World War khukuris with a brass handle, and like it a lot. Since you're also getting a HI Shop 2 18" AK at about the same time, you'll have a good chance to compare two good, big knives. The World War model should be about a pound lighter and an inch shorter, probably about 1/8" thinner spine-I'm guessing on these, as the closest HI khukuri I have to your AK is a 21 1/2" Shop 2 Sirupati. I like the brass handle very much because it makes the weight balance of the knife more neutral and seems to lessen the shock of impact more than horn or wood. I also assume it's more durable than either of the organics, though haven't had it long enough to prove that. Some say it's a disadvantage in very cold climates - sticks to bare hands - as it's currently 100 degreees where I live and rarely freezes, that's not a problem for me. I've also heard concerns that it may be too slippery, but haven't found it to be more so than polished horn. If in doubt, wear work gloves
smile.gif
. The blade on mine has been up to every test I've given it. Craig at Gurkha House is a relative newcomer to the khukuri business, but I've been pleased with his openness to learn and desire to please. Hope you enjoy both your new khukuris.
Berk

Berkley,
Thanks for that info. When I talked with the lady GH she said the handle was solid brass. It seems that would be very heavy. She then said there was some other type of metal inside the handle, which makes more sense. I never thought about the brass being cold or slippery. I may give this knife to my wife and use the 18" HI myself. The BAS I want to order will probably be a wall hanger, it looks beautiful in the picture!
I have a Bolo I got in the Phillipines, (made of spring steel and water buffaloe horn handle) at JEST school (1972) for 5 bucks from a nigrito. But from everything I've heard about the HI knives, there will be no contest! can't wait to get it and try it out.

------------------
Jack Russell

Jack,

I have purchased 3, soon to be 4, Khukuris from Craig and Marya at Gurkha House (2 Service #1's and a Panawal so far, a Mini-Jungle coming next week). My knives have been of excellent quality and have stood up to all of the abuse I could give them.

In size, your World War model slots in between the Service #1 and the Panawal. The Service #1, for it's size, is very fast and feels light in the hand. The Panawal is a dead serious chopper for heavier jobs (like cars and small buildings)
smile.gif

Craig has worked hard to earn a reputation for honesty and customer service. His guarantee is unconditional. No small print or "weasel tactics". If you aren't happy, he'll do whatever it takes to make it right. Craigs wife Marya does a terrific job of running the business when Craig is out of town.

Dealing with either of them is a pleasure. I will keep going back and have encouraged my friends to buy from GH. They too were happy with their knives and equally happy with the service. It's a win-win situation.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Hey Recon,

Those Gurka House folks are "good people."

When I ordered my blade, there was a computer glitch (via my ISP) and Craig went to
work on it as soon as he found out--little did I know he was hundreds of miles away on
vacation.

I'm the proud owner of two Gurkha House khukris: a Service Number One, and World
War model. I use both of them for everything from fishing, to brush clearing. While none
of mine are brass handled; rest assured that Ghurka House is a *great company* to deal
with and I’m sure you’ll like what you paid for as I did. I just wish the Marines would
ship him home from Central America so he can get back to work on my request for a 20”
GH khuk!

-Endaxi
Orlando, FL

Saturday, July 31, 1999

Day off today.

“No big thing, but worth mentioning...
Seven miles from the nearest paved road--deep into the sticks of Florida’s Tosohatchee
state wilderness reserve. Mosquitoes were light, no snakes. Walking on a trail next to a
canal...I get that ear-bending “something’s wrong” feeling. I stop walking...then
something glides into my peripheral vision--on the right, down below. I turn to see a
gator that’s bigger than me, gliding behind like a shadow. This far from asphalt, I’d
usually be armed in case something goes wrong; but it’s the state park’s rules. I start
walking, listening for the slightest splash. The trail split away from the water a hundred
feet further, but nothing happened--I’m here writing this. The assurance of that big
khukri on my hip prevented my dread, just what wild things use to sort out what’s easily
had.”

I will be interested to compare my two HI khukuris (one village model in the Dhankuta style and a Shop1 BAS) to a GH Bhojpure I am buying used. I know for a fact that you can beat the HI products as hard as you possibly can, especially the BAS, and they come back for more. Astounding quality goes into these knives...

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

I`ll be interested to read your impressions as well since I recently purchased a GH Bhojpure (which I`m very happy with) and have been coveting an HI 20"AK for some time now. Actually I`d be happy with a monster "villager" but they don`t seem to be making any these days. Marcus

Everybody: Well, I'm back from Nicaragua! All I can say is that I have to thank all of you and, most importantly, my wife, for keeping things going while I was away. Although I was pretty much in the high mountains for most of my two weeks, I did get a chance to make it into Managua, and used a computer there to access bladeforums (I have bladeforumitis).

That two magazine articles came out (Blade and Tactical Knives) when I was gone presented a big challenge to my wife. She showed her true colors as a wonderful partner in life and, as it turns out, in business. Of course, answering questions about which handle maintains its grip when blood is dripping from the blade wasn't exactly her cup of tea
smile.gif
, she gave her best advice (the wood handle, I think she said).

To Recon Jack and other Deluxe WW owners: here's the scoop on the Brass Handles. The brass is very thick, but not solid (when I initially received the model, I thought it was solid and advertised it as such). Inside the handle is another metal material. If I ever get a deluxe blem in (to date, the kami who makes these models ranks with the best), I have plans to have the handle sawed in half so I can see for myself what's inside. Then, I'll post some pics for all to see.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Chris S,

Quote: Those Gurka House folks are "good people."

Your right there, it must of been Craig's wife I talked to, when I called she sounded out of breath, from making delivery's. I felt sorry for her to keep her tied up on the phone. And she said she would send me a cataloge. I wasn't aware they had different models. I told her I saw an article in Blade and was interested, by the time she got through talking to me, I just said "mail me one"! The picture in the magazine is impressive, and the review from MSG Breed, was a good one. Anyway, thanks to all who responded.

------------------
Jack Russell

Recon,

Marya here. I need to get my own username here! Never thought I'd be so deep in khukuris, but I really like the attitude I find here. Knife people are pretty decent. Enjoy your World War. It went out on Saturday by COD.

Marya

Marya,

I just picked up my Custom WW, from the post office. Opened the package and !!! Nice. Three shiny brass handles! After handling the Khukri, I know it will not slip out of my hand because of the swelled butt end. And it balances just right. I was concerned about the Handle, but I can tell it will not come off, and does look like it will last a lifetime. My wife don't want me to use it, but I will get out this week and try it out on some old hickory, and oak. Thank you for the fast service, and yes, you should have your own username! Your a good sales lady and deserve your own.
Thanks again!

------------------
Jack Russell

[This message has been edited by Recon Jack (edited 09 August 1999).]

Recon: Marya had to go to her "other" job today. But I will encourage her to get her own username. In the mean time, enjoy your WW. I am going to Ithaca, NY for a little vacation this weekend, and may take a Brass WW along. I'm thinking about purposely trying to push it to it's breaking point, so that I may fully understand the handle construction. I know this sound's like a waste, but I feel that it will only serve the "extreme" customers who are looking for strength and endurance in a blade. The Brass handle is a nice answer for avoiding the age cracks that develop in natural materials, but I want to make damn sure that the Brass handle will take the same abuse that the other handles take. I'll let you know what I find out.

Also, got a message from a customer, who said he had a knife maker put a convex edge on his khukuri, and that edge retention significantly increased. Does anybody know what he meant by a convex edge?

Craig :

Does anybody know what he meant by a convex edge?

Its the edge that comes standard on your khukuris, the edge is formed by two arcs instead of two straight lines (v-ground).

-Cliff

Mr. Cliff,

What about a rolled edge. I have a trailmaster, that I won't use (I don't need it now) because I was told that when it gets dull, you have to recut an edge on it. Is that true? If so, what is the purpose? It is razor sharp but there is no V shape to it.

Thanks,

------------------
Jack Russell

Jack :

What about a rolled edge.

It is the same thing. Cold steel refers to convex and v-grinds as rolled and cantled.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 13 August 1999).]

Cliff: how can one put a convex edge on a knife? When I sharpen some of the knives that I send out, I use a sharpening system that I think doesn't put a convex edge on the blade. I suppose it's much harder to do a convex edge, but I do see exactly how it provides a more durable edge.

I've found that many customers of mine experience very minor blade chipping, but when they put a new edge on the blade, it seems to hold much better. Maybe I've been screwing up some of the edges. Any advice?

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

You mentioned you were heading to Ithaca, NY for the weekend. Hey! that's where I went to school - went to IC, and also spent a lot of time in Cornell in one of their MA/sport clubs.

Never liked the winters there, though the summers are great. Let us know how your khukuri-test goes, also I'd be interested to know where in the area you went for these tests - after all, I did spend several glorious years in that neck of the woods
smile.gif

- Sonam

Craig :

how can one put a convex edge on a knife

It is usually done with a belt sander. But it could be done by hand in any number of ways. I have seen it done on hardwoods with a file and sandpaper by a master craftsman who freehanded the curve. I would have little difficulty in believing he could do the same with metals.

The easiest way by hand is to put sandpaper on a material that has some give and stroke the blade edge trailing. You can also lift up slightly on the edge of the stroke to make the curve more steep. With some really coarse sandpaper of decent length you can remove a decent amount of metal fast.

If I had to regrind a totally blunted blade and wanted a convex bevel I would cut a v-grind first if I had power equipment to do so and then convert it to a convex by hand. Essentially all you are doing here is rounding out the corners.

You can cut something similar by sharpening at different angles. For example if you cut a main bevel at 15 degrees and then a micro bevel at 25 degrees the full bevel looks like a clunky convex. If you graduated the angles you could duplicate a convex bevel this way as well.

I've found that many customers of mine experience very minor blade chipping, but when they put a new edge on the blade, it seems to hold much better. Maybe I've been screwing up some of the edges

I doubt it. Chipping is a macro effect. The only way to sharpen a blade that would induce this would be to either heat it enough on a grinder to take out the temper, or go really extreme with the bevel angle (like 10 degrees) leaving a very thin wide fragile bevel.

There are a number of reasons why the performace could be getting better. Maybe the edges are too hard because they cool down so fast (surfast area to volume ratio being the highest). Maybe the users are grinding a little more obtuse angles on them? Maybe they are getting more familiar with the knives so they are twisting less in their hands?

In any case as long as its not a perm. problem there is not much cause for concern. About the only edges that I am really satisfied with on a knife is the one I put on it anyway.

-Cliff

GTKGuy,

I went to Cornell! Actually, we ended up going to Assateague Island in Maryland because it was closer than Ithaca. Next week, though, we're off to Ithaca. Maybe to 6 mile creek.

The WW I took there worked great for chopping light firewood and slicing tuna. I took one that was very loose in the scabbard, and actually came to prefer the ease with which it could be drawn for use. I strapped it to the side of my ALICE pack, and was very pleased.

Marcus: have you gotten your used Bhojpure yet? How do you like it?

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 16 August 1999).]

Aaah yes! 6-Mile Creek, great spot! And you're a Big Red alum? Fancy that! You didn't do engineering there did you? A few of my friends were Electrical Engineering majors (Double E), and there was a joke among them that "you can't spell Geek without a double-E!"
smile.gif

Cornell has a pretty decent sport-TKD team and I used to come over from IC to train with them at Helen-Newman Hall, and every other weekend or so, we were off competing in the collegiate & regional circuit.

To get back to khukuri-talk, I have a Service No.1 that I bought at Khukuri House last summer in Kathmandu, which has a loose scabbard. I keep this on my bedside table 'cos I can slide the blade out easily with one hand without having to grasp the scabbard with the other. That's my quick-deployment "just-in-case" khukuri
smile.gif

- Sonam

Back