D2 Beckers

Ok, so I know Ka-Bar uses D2 in some of their U.S. made knives, so who wants a line of Beckers in D2? Am I wrong, or would that be awesome? And while I'm dreaming, throw on some micarta handles and add a kydex sheath. Yeah, the price would be higher, but I'd pony up. Opinions?

Ok, so I know Ka-Bar uses D2 in some of their U.S. made knives, so who wants a line of Beckers in D2? Am I wrong, or would that be awesome? And while I'm dreaming, throw on some micarta handles and add a kydex sheath. Yeah, the price would be higher, but I'd pony up. Opinions?

micarta handles have always been an option, and will be again... the extreme model came with them.

a number of them have/had/will-have kydex sheaths...

D2 is nice, but expensive. 1095 heat treated well, provides SUBSTANTIAL bang for the buck. i'd rather see 5160 or something like that :)

Bladite

D2 is nice, but expensive.
Bladite

Yeah, I'd expect a price increase, but not that much. My local Ka-bar dealer sold me a Ka-bar impact spear point D2 with micarta handles for $70.00 when he sales a 7" Marine combat in 1095 for $60.00. I'll pay ten to twenty dollars more for a knife in D2 when compared to the same knife in 1095.
boo to D2!
Why? Have you ever used it?
I've taken a Ka-bar made of 1095 and a Ka-bar made of D2 into the woods and done some chopping, and I can tell you that Ka-bar's D2 holds an edge much longer. And I've had no problems with D2 chipping, as some claim, and it sharpens easily with DMT diamond slabs. I'm not hoping for D2 to replace the 1095. I'd like to see all the knives available in 1095 for those who are seeking a bargain, and the same knives available in D2 for folks who want to splurge and try out a harder-use steel. The same way you can buy a Ford Mustang or a Ford Mustang GT.

Last edited:
I have experienced it holding an edge well, being moderately easy to sharpen, and also prone to chips and rust.

I'd rather have a blade that holds an edge almost as well, but is easyier to sharpen in the field and I can really beat on without the chipping concern. I am also not a fan of using diamond hones to sharpen my knives, so D2 just isnt for me, and i'm cool with that.

whoa now.. dont insult the quality of 1095 compared to a ford mustang! :D

For knives over 6", or hard use knives, I prefer Carbon steels to stainless steels. D2 is in the middle, but the carbon steels tend to be tougher.

Why not just get the san mai necker

Not D2, and not made in USA. Made in USA is one of the qualities I like best about Becker Knives. I'd also wager that a D2 Necker would cost less than the san mai Necker, but the san mai does tempt me. But I'd rather have D2.

To be honest, I dint know what the fuss about D2 is all about. I have a Knives of Alaska Bush camp in D2 and while nice, after batoning wood, or chopping a tree or two, any knife needs to be resharpened. Thats when D2 really doesn't make sense to me. It takes me a lot longer to sharpen to shaving sharp with D2 than carbon.
If D2 was less expensive, I might view it as an alternative, but for me, I will stick to 1095 or 440c with a good HT.

Back