D2 in early Fiddlebacks?

In 2010 I bought a Bushcrafter and a Bushboot from Andy.This was when he was still taking custom orders and I sent him some Mesquite and Texas Ebony I had gotten here in Texas and had him make the handles with that wood. I sold the Bushcrafter years ago but I still have the Bushboot. Does anyone know if he was using D2 for his steel then? I can't remember what he used for those knives.

Funny how O1 has fallen out of favor.
I suspect that when Andy suddenly made the transition from O1 to A2 in 2015 without a lot of explanation, people interpreted that to mean that O1 was somehow not as good or desirable as A2. Both steels perform as well as they always have. In my experience, A2 has a slight edge in corrosion/patina resistance, but not by that much. I think some of Andy's best work with thicker handles and nice spalting were made in the O1 years. Fickle opinions will vary.

Phil

I suspect that when Andy suddenly made the transition from O1 to A2 in 2015 without a lot of explanation, people interpreted that to mean that O1 was somehow not as good or desirable as A2. Both steels perform as well as they always have. In my experience, A2 has a slight edge in corrosion/patina resistance, but not by that much. I think some of Andy's best work with thicker handles and nice spalting were made in the O1 years. Fickle opinions will vary.

Phil
My understanding is that Andy switched because A2 performed as well as O1 in most every circumstance (not necessarily better)... but A2 was better at corrosion resistance AND took a spalted finish way better. The spalting on 01 is visible, but shallow. The A2 took a deeper spalted texture.

100% nothing wrong with O1. It's super tough. One of my favorite personal knives is a Cohutta in O1. Holds an edge exceptionally well, super tough... I just personally can't cut fruit with it as I can taste the steel on the food. 💁‍♂️

I honestly can't remember if Fiddleback ever used D2.

Back