D2 tool steel problem

HELP!!!

I've got a knife in D2 tool steel which I've used in yard work chopping 1 to 2"

branches/weeds etc.

As a result the blade was stained, I tried washing in hot soapy water to no effect. I then left soaking in same for about 30 minutes and then scrubbed.

Result is a stained blade which I can't get clean.

Any suggestions please?...................

Said blade is presently oiled up awaiting your suggestions!

Stained with green sap? Try wiping well with Varsol or WD40,Denatured Alcohol, then wipe clean then a good oiling down with Militec1. The Militec1 is the only stuff that seems to get Blood stains out of non-stainless steel. Since D2 is Non-Stainless, I'll assume it works on that too.

Denatured alcohol like Moodino said , my preference is a follow up with Flitz.

Thanks guys, sadly the stain isn't sap.

Areas of the blade seem to have gone a silvery black colour, it's not rust just a discolouration.

Well, I've heard that even though D2 is a carbon steel, its border line stainless... So perhaps you have some patina forming. THe only way I've heard of removing patina is abrasives.

sounds like a patina to me.

this is a layer of oxidation forming on the first several outer layers of the steel similar to rust, except that it is actually beneficial becuase it helps to prevent further oxidation (rust) from forming. it is nature's crinkle coating of sorts.

i believe the only way to remove it would be abrasives. or you could make it unform over the entire surface of the blade by giving it a hot vinegar bath or rub with potato insides...a good place to look for ways to apply a patina to a carbon blade would be the traditional fixed blades and folders subforum.

Denatured alcohol ... follow up with Flitz.

I carry alcohol pads and if I get gunk on a blade, I clean it with the alcohol. But I've got a Vaquero Grande in AUS-8 that's irreparably stained by slashing around in the woods. The alcohol won't help once the stain has set, but the Flitz might. Most metal polishes will remove a patina.

Thanks guys, I tried using a scouring pad very lightly (didn't want to scratch the blade too much) to no avail.

On the Flitz front which is best liquid or paste?

Thanks again.

I find the paste convenient. (I'm sloppy. :) )
I don't know if the liquid works any differently.

It is rust, just a different type.You will need a metal polish which is either chemical or abrasive or sandpaper. In general I would recommend not to remove it anyway.

-Cliff

It is rust, just a different type.You will need a metal polish which is either chemical or abrasive or sandpaper. In general I would recommend not to remove it anyway.

-Cliff

Why would you recommend not removing it Cliff?

I agree with Cliff. Why remove it? If you want the knife to stay pristine, don't use it. If you use it, don't expect it to stay pristine. (Duh)

IMHO, if it's just a stain, leave it alone.

Because it doesn't hurt the blade and all steels will stain to some extent. The stain is actually more resistant to further corrosion than bare steel.

-Cliff

Patina is a natural occurence to non stainless steels. Even if you try to remove it, it will happen again using it. Even stainless steels can stain to a certain extent.
Scott

Many thanks to Cliff and one and all, your replies are greatly appreciated.

Broos that link said it all!

But boy am I gutted that my tale only includes weeds (albeit Triffid types) and general yard work, no tales of Grizzlies or daring do!

Methinks I'll keep the knife as is and not risk tinkering.

Thanks again to all..........long live BF!

Why worry about patina?

This is my beeter knife, made of non-stainless steel. It is more than 20 years old and survived being my childhood toy. (Boy, was I surprised how ugly the scratches look when magnified like this. The knife needs a new handle, too.)

DSCN10430001_1.jpg

DSCN10500001.jpg

DSCN10530001.jpg

I have a couple of other carbon knives, e.g. Cold Steel Trailmaster, Peltonen Ranger Puukko. Now and then they get stains and sometimes even mild rust, I just wipe and oil them but let the patina stay. The knives still work as intended.

Because it doesn't hurt the blade and all steels will stain to some extent. The stain is actually more resistant to further corrosion than bare steel.

-Cliff

What Cliff said is, of course, true.

However, to your original question, if you do want to try to remove the patina, I'd recommend using Simichrome (or Flitz) metal polish. First use the polish with a cloth...you might be very, very pleased with the result! If you'd like to go a step further, use the Flitz or Simichrome with 0000 "Final Finish" steel wool.

Then coat the finished blade with an anti-corrosive such as RustFree (from www.agrussell.com), BreakFree CLP, FP-10, Tuf-Cloth/Tuf Glide, etc. to help prevent further staining.

Back