D3V - Keep It Coated?

gk4ever2

Gold Member
I received my first CPK recently, a Behemoth Chopper, and I'm really impressed with the quality – the fit & finish is excellent, and it is very sharp! :cool:

Since I have no prior experience with D3V, should I keep it coated with something to prevent rust, and if so, what do you folks use? Inside a house where temperature and humidity are fairly well controlled, would rust be a concern on uncoated/unprotected D3V? Thank you for your replies!

Gene

I can only speak for myself and my immediate environment in San Diego County, CA:

I don’t live by the beach, but I’m not too far from the beach. Case in point, where I live does not get impacted by climate and weather conditions such as marine layers and beach environment humidity. With all that said, I don’t coat my D3V CPKs and even worse, i sheath them inside their leather sheaths which is a big no-no to many hardcore knife folks! My place is not always climate controlled as I do open windows and such. FWIW, my CPKs are inside a larger desk drawer so no humidor or anything like that. I have yet to notice any spot of surface rust on any CPK but in the same breath, I must also say that I own folders in M4 and K390 which display no rust either.

Take all of the above with a big grain of salt because I wouldn’t do anything which I described above if I lived in a high humidity environment.

I also wanted to add:

I would and really should apply a very thin layer of mineral oil to my CPKs in D3V which so far I have had no need for where I am and how I store them.

I had bought CPKs in the past that were never used but they were second hand (I was not the original owner) I can’t recall which and from where, but upon inspection after removing the scales, I did notice some minor surface rust spots underneath the scales (easily removed).

This matter was discussed extensively in the past and some of our Canadian CPK friends swore by applying Obenauf’s LP to under the scales and on the rest of the steel. YMMV.

I haven't coated them with anything here in New Mexico and have never had an issue.
I have cleaned the ones I use with WD-40 and a good wipe with a dry rag and call it good.
BTW I haven't used them for food prep.

Last edited:
I’ve had no problems with the exposed blades but where I’m at in Michigan under the handles at the edges of the tang will discolor if left untreated.
I used flitz wax and it seemed to do the trick. I’m trying out tuff glide right now, it works for storage but I’m not sure about longevity during use yet.

I’d watch the bacon trick.. salt and all.

I use Rem oil on my choppers that get used. I generally use rem oil under the scales of whatever I use daily or use for food prep. I had some little rust spots on the tang of my EDC after belt carrying it during the summer for months but nothing horrible, came off with a finger nail. A good one for knives that will get used on food is cooking spray. Spray on a paper towel, wipe down blade, wipe off with a clean paper towel- no problems on 1095, D2, or 3V so far.

I generally don't oil mine, but if I do, I wipe the blade down with a half cooked piece of bacon. That way it smells nice, is food safe, and you can lick it if you are starting to get hungry. But most of the time I do not.
Plus if you kill a terrorist with it they don’t get to go to heaven with their 72 virgins. I dip all my rounds in bacon grease. Now I’m going to start wiping my knives with it.

Hear that? That's the sounds of the whispering winds of shit.

I use mineral oil after cleaning the blades but not as a protectant for storage. Haven’t use ren wax on CPKs, I don’t want that super shiny look that it gives.

Last edited:
Back