D8EE ees got swampwalk! Ooh yeah!

Just got my DMT D8EE 3 micron/8000 mesh Dia-Sharp wetstone. Still need to 'break it in' and remove extraneous diamonds (though my Vic Tinker did a lot of that) to get a better finish. It's fast and even its initial coarse finish is very fine. In short order, it should leave a finish similar to a Norton 8000 grit waterstone, and we'll soon see. For out-of-the-box utility, the Norton 8000 grit waterstone cuts the way it's meant to cut from first to last use (assuming maintenance). The D8EE will get there and stay there if it's like their other products, but it doesn't start out that way.

The manufacturer's recommendation to use soapy water is great for preventing loading to the stone and for forcing the user to clean the knife after sharpening. Leonard Lee and Yuzuha recommend the same thing for ceramic hones.

Thanks, DMT! And thanks, Larrin, for the heads-up!

OK, you have had all weekend to break it in and to resharpen every knife you own, so why not give us a review Thom? Is it the best thing since sliced bread?

Yuzuha told me first, if anyone cares. I'm not sure it matters who discovered it. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Larrin! You're the one who told me and she's the one who told you.

Magneto,

That's the 'problem' of having a knife with good edge retention and a busy weekend. I've got nothing. Will sharpen tonight, though. With three viewings of Korin's sharpening video and some 'break in the danged thing' advice from cbwx34, the sharpening bug is gnawing on my brainstem.

Just got my D8XX and D8EE today. I'm going to have to use my RS microscope to figure which side of the EE has the diamonds, it's really smooth. Going to be putting it to the test here real soon!

The underside of the EE isn't shiny like the XX, looks almost the same as the side with the diamonds. I figured the letters on the side would have the same orientation as the XX does, and after looking at it through the microscope, I was right.

Just sharpened a sheepsfoot blade, Queen D2 stockman, and it seemed to do pretty well. The blade has seen a lot of use, and instead of a straight edge, has a smile in it, i.e., when you hold it to the stone, there is a slight gap in the middle between the stone and edge. The tip left many scratches in the stone, which surprised me. I'm sure they'll smooth out, but at least this answered the question for me as to whether or not I could use this with my straight razor - no way. There are still some machining marks in the stone that are too rough for a razor. This EE stone is rougher than I thought it would be - my Norton 8000 is glass smooth in comparison.

Having said all that, it did a pretty good job on the D2, and I'm looking forward to using it more.

They're both 'the shiny side,' BillL!

Used the D8E and D8EE. The D8E (9 micron/1200 mesh) seemed to leave a brighter finish. Cbwx34 suggested using the D8EE to flatten a waterstone to dislodge loose surface diamonds (similar to the trick QuietOned gave me to clean out a clogged diamond, but this was a diamond clogged with diamonds) and it may have helped. Smeared a drop of liquid soap on both diamonds and put water on the soap before and during the sharpening and everything went well and cleanup was a breeze. After everything was dry and put away, I stropped on 3M 1 micron AO polishing cloth over glass (buy the lapping film with the same abrasive if such things appeal to you. The polishing cloth is weird and dislikes water) and the edge got that extra kick of sharpness.

The D8EE cuts fast and cuts flat, but the finish is coarser than I'd like so far.

Sodak,

I have one of those RadioShack pocketscopes, but the inverted image always throws me and I view the Blair Witch Sharpening Project for a few seconds before trying the Murray Carter three-finger test and searching my left arm for a patch of hair. :eek:

If that D8EE doesn't break in, it's going to be strictly for lapidary (stone polishing) uses. Just broke out a King 8000 waterstone and redid the edge. Much happier. The King cuts slower than the Norton which cuts slower than the D8EE, but it did what I wanted. What's this I keep hearing about everything being a tradeoff?

If that D8EE doesn't break in, it's going to be strictly for lapidary (stone polishing) uses. Just broke out a King 8000 waterstone and redid the edge. Much happier. The King cuts slower than the Norton which cuts slower than the D8EE, but it did what I wanted. What's this I keep hearing about everything being a tradeoff?

You are taking things off of my "To Buy" list now, that is a first. It will be interesting to see if it breaks in well or continues to be sub par compared to good waterstones.

Time will tell. If it works for non-motorized faceting, it may end up on your wife's to-get list, but machines flatten faster and better (they just cost more). A Norton 8K or King 8K would be a better alternative for most steels with the Norton cutting faster and the King leaving a slightly better finish. I've flattened the Norton 8K with my D8XX and it takes less than 30 seconds (and leaves deep gouges, but that's okay so long as it sharpens or you could use the D6E to flatten).

Thanks Thom for the pre break in review. When it is broke in good, how about giving us an update.

I've got the D8EE coming anyday now...I'll try a review after I use it as well.

Question: Your best method for clearing/cleaning the D8XX -- mine seems to have lost a bit of cutting. Last night I was reworking a 420 Leek and found that 60grit metal paper was doing a better job. Could I have possibly gotten one of those DMT hones that lost its diamonds (seems much smoother than it did just a month ago after it was broken in -- maybe a good cleaning will bring it back)...

BTW, I've only had the D8XX for about a month and worked maybe 10 knives quite aggressively. Hope I didn't put the kabob on the stone...

Comment appreciated since I've just now started working with the diamond hones. Past experience (many years) has been pretty much with a coarse AO and the full compliment of Norton waterstones...

Dead

FWIW, I haven't warmed up to the DMT products yet, even though I have most of them in-house or about to arrive. I like my Norton's better right now with the coarse AO from Razor's Edge and coarse paper...

Dead

Your DMT stone seems smoother because it is. They take a little bit of time to break in. It might be a little slower because it's not quite as rough, but it should still be plenty fast. If you want it to be faster, use soapy water.

The D8-EE appears to need some break-in duties.

When I first used one, I worked the back of a chisel that already had a mirror finish. The first set show after the D8-EE.

I then used the D8-EE to lap some stones, and worked a few knives on it. Also tried different amounts of pressure. More pressure seems to work better.

The 2nd set of pictures show the results. Not perfect, but better. (The 2 sets of pictures are combined in this post).

As a side note, lapping finer stones on it was not good.... the stones basically stick together.

I think once the stone gets properly broken in, it will do a fine job (no pun intended... well maybe).

Attachments

• Hope.jpg
    Hope.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 81
I received my new D8EE yesterday just after posting...it is fine and I have already started to use it. Not broken in yet, however, it appears not to give that highly polished look my Norton 8000 gives the metal -- we'll see down the road...

And thanks for the tips -- I'll try soapy water with the DMT hones...

Dead

Back