Recommendation? Damaged sheath help please.

Found this one in the bottom of a box. It fits a blade I made perfectly, but as you can see, it has some damage.
What would you recommend to cover this up? I have a few tools and such.
I thought about gouging at it, maybe striped gouges and then dye?

YDdZoBmHDiBbTxxAaE9LMx2jsJzLRsTJUBuQFeoHANiaZe8Xsh6-BQTSCA8QBWUXHbD5mwpSNT7dDGcqYawbPcgY8wDaHJ46R8aBDwJlOuYlCEpThPcJbldAatBasSrja6d5Rq5uN0S27k9L0MnsiUX5oVRN9jnUfJQlB8DEclt3sqHNgYkXdN7dVR4WYghvxdAzuc_cIaqm0ta69WuUkN9x7NcnbHsZS93aKWsFhS3-9PoOej6KL1kV-ccFvdp12yX9h1DMbMwzAUL6I7EIHKWSPE4NNXC5ux-y_TeJueyuJj-c4IJ1wy8ivtuPRKFX5FEVIZAdu3Fk9cTml6U_y3yW7rQgFutBwIJ02ZCjGxnYEPds-V-TrHzJS9ysTnsJPJoa_RXaxF8aSh75vuQSJMIPAZZW9s2bTuopd21gs3uUFJUEn7g48Mkho2eRLYU1mxlatyrg86St0uSPbcA0WM8MqEBzssabgbcVTc90E2-U1RsIgMvtmNXaksLsCSi5Fg9pQ57JXr3X3Dx89uOAqt-dqct_riGLcOLUaFLtVZ93EeANbNaSu8YztrfZI05sdA0A2pUbcf0RernvHIuyfWpnRwVW-qBrGkwf-a7hhlMDPlXTXpMG5cfMnmlmCws-PtXLgIPmzvbkTJlXkGqizyk6WcF73lWDY3TBfAAKiEXCNWUJ6ikjpP_A=w678-h903-no

Last edited:
Coy, I am unable to either see or pull up your photo. Can't be much help without a reference

Coy it appears that the sheath has not yet been oiled or sealed, and if that is so, that's good. I try wetting the sheath thoroughly with just plain water and then insert the knife or perhaps a steel ruler etc to give you a firm backing and then "massage" the area with a bone folder or even a tea spoon from the kitchen. Use considerable pressure with the massage. (Much like the action of wet molding). This action will erase much of the marking, but probably not all. You can repeat the procedure several times, but the best you are likely to get is going to be some of the mark will still show. Trying to tool over the mark will be an exercise in futility, unless you plan to disassemble the sheath and then re sew it after tooling. If it is just going to be a user sheath, then I'd just leave it as is. If you do anything to break, cut, or scratch the top grain of the leather ie: a gouge then you will have a scar that will be there forever. Dying it will only accomplish changing the color of the flaw, nothing else.

Other opinions may vary.

Paul

Paul,

After trying to remove as much of the mark as possible in the way you describe, could the OP then try to disguise or decorate the sheath using a wood-burning iron? It would be like tooling but he wouldn't need to disassemble the sheath to do it. Then maybe he could dye the sheath a dark color to kinda even things out a bit?

i4Marc i4Marc , Yes, that would be a possibility, but the compression of the leather will still cause a difference in shade except maybe with black or dark brown. the rate of absorption will be different in the compressed areas vs the non compressed areas. it would also tend to completely hide any word burned tone difference.

Paul

That would be a tough one to make disappear. May possibly be able to minimize by wetting and rubbing with a spoon. But if it were me, I'd probably go the other direction and further distress. Put a few scratches in it. Maybe hit it with a few tools. Slap with a bike chain or cable. Give a few slaps and drags with a wood burner. Etc.

Here's a wallet that I allowed to get a little too marked up during construction, so I just beat the crap out of it. The look is not for everyone, but works for me.

y7Ipag9.jpg

YM9pn40.jpg

That would be a tough one to make disappear. May possibly be able to minimize by wetting and rubbing with a spoon. But if it were me, I'd probably go the other direction and further distress. Put a few scratches in it. Maybe hit it with a few tools. Slap with a bike chain or cable. Give a few slaps and drags with a wood burner. Etc.

Thanks everyone. I will probably go this route since it is going to be just an EDC user knife.

Back