Damascus and Ivory Rifleman's Bowie

rifleman.jpg

I've been putting in some serious hours lately, and I believe this one will be the last one out of the shop until after the Arkansas show. Time for a break.

This is a Damascus rifleman's Bowie with nickel silver hardware and ivory handle. I did a frame handle on this one on the suggestion of Jerry Fisk. The handle frame is O1. The blade length is 8". This little sucker is pointy like a needle and sharp as all get out.

Terry, that is a beautiful knife! Certainly one of the nicest I've ever seen.

Matt

Terry, you just keep coming up with one gorgeous knife after another! Keep 'em coming! I love that pointy blade profile, and the combination of the damascus and ivory is absolutely perfect.
Please tell me more about the "frame handle" concept...

Yeah, just wait until this weekend, when I grab that sucker off Terry's table and clean my teeth with it!

(Pete, just kidding)

:D

Terry You got my nod on this one. She is a beauty! I go weak in the knees with the ivory and that point is killer.

Very sleek and sexy. Love the way you ground that blade and ivory is the perfect choice for this knife.

Terry - That is fantastic, this is my favourite of your work that I have seen.

Stephen

Originally posted by Bruce Bump
Terry You got my nod on this one. She is a beauty! I go weak in the knees with the ivory and that point is killer.

I'll second that!!! Awesome! :eek:

Terry,

This one is an out-of-the-park home run. Beautiful knife! Make sure you submit it for judging at the Little Rock show.

Cheers,

Roger

I really like this one. It is elegant, nice combination of materials and has that "pick me up" quality to it. I don't think it will last long at the show.

Nice. Any particular reason why you used Ni Silver rather than stainless on the guard & ferrule?

Thx,

JD

Thank you all for the kind comments. :)

Joss,
I chose nickel silver for two reasons. One is that it's a traditional material. You'll see it used quite often by the ABS boys and girls.

The other reason was that I didn't have any stainless steel stock thin enough for the guard. I don't think a 1/4" thick stainless steel oval guard would have been appropriate for this slim and light-weight Bowie.

Maurice,
Yes, I'll be bringing it to the show for display. The knife is sold and the owner specified that I am not to let Danbo slobber all over it. :D

Mongo,
I'll do a quick artist's redering of what the frame handle is all about and post it shortly.

Hey Terry,

I realize it's traditional, although I am sure you've also noticed that 420SS is gaining "share of mind". What I've been noticing is that although it starts white, it takes a yellowish hue over time - probably the patina. I used to like it a lot, but I know think that it doesn't have its place on expensive pieces. Just my $0.02.

JD

Well Joss, that's a valid opinion I suppose, but why stop at hardware materials?

Carbon steels can take on a patina, as well as stain and rust. Perhaps carbon steel has no place on expensive pieces.

Presentation grade woods, ivory, stag, etc. all can shrink, expand, crack, and so-on. Perhaps they have no place on an expensive knife.

These high-end knives require care for the blades, guards, and handle material. I guess an alternative could be that we all use Talonite for the blades, and canvas Micarta or G10 for the handles, which is fine, but how boring that would be if all knives had the same materials.

This is just food for thought. I'm not jumping your case. The fact that there are so many opinions is great. Look at the diversity in materials and styles. I think it's great that we have so many choices.

Back