Damascus EDC

mvm217

Gold Member
Hey everybody, I'm thinking of getting a Chris Reeve with a Damascus blade because I like the look, but what's making me hesitate is that I've never had experience with damascus before.

Do any of you with CRK Damascus knives use yours for hard work or camping? How do the damascus blades hold up? Do they scratch badly or anything like that?

I'm willing to spend the extra money to get the damascus blade, but not if it makes the knife noticeably worse for real use or sharpening.

Thanks!!

I have EDC’ed various Damascus CRK for years. The Damascus will fade a little over the years. Especially with abrasive cardboard and such. As far as a scratching, it will not scratch any easier than S35VN will. I am probably subconsciously more careful with Damascus, but I do not hesitate to use and enjoy it.

Yep it’ll fade and scratch. I think Crk states it doesn’t hold an edge as good as S35VN but I personally can’t tell much difference. I like the way it looks worn tho. I’ve worked this particular Damascus pretty well. 9D83ED55-478A-45A4-B724-DD9BE77BC030.jpeg93ADE863-1D02-466A-A168-C499D3F4AA76.jpeg27085CCC-7EE8-4C2A-B1D9-ACCE55CCB95A.jpeg

Here’s mine with moderate use, you can’t see the light scratches, but they’re there. You can see the fading near the thumb studs and toward the tip.
I don’t have any with Chad Nichols Damascus, mine are Devin Thomas. They appear to look the same as far as finish goes. Don’t know if one holds up better than the other.

89116121-F2B6-4152-8A84-97AAE73504AB.jpeg

Yep it’ll fade and scratch. I think Crk states it doesn’t hold an edge as good as S35VN but I personally can’t tell much difference. I like the way it looks worn tho. I’ve worked this particular Damascus pretty well. View attachment 1386891View attachment 1386893View attachment 1386897

I have always likened CRK’s Damascus ( Devin Thomas ) to perform like S30V. I have always loved the S30V that CRK used, so was always a win win for me. I haven’t owned any of Chad Nichols, but have heard great things. I need more 21 damascus in my life....lol

I have always likened CRK’s Damascus ( Devin Thomas ) to perform like S30V. I have always loved the S30V that CRK used, so was always a win win for me. I haven’t owned any of Chad Nichols, but have heard great things. I need more 21 damascus in my life....lol
I’ve got a few CN Damascus and have been pleased with them, raindrop anyhow. I much more prefer the DT Ladder. There’s a few 21 Damascus I wish I would’ve picked up when they were more readily available

Back