Damascus EDC

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by mvm217, Jul 28, 2020.

1. mvm217

mvm217

Feb 14, 2018
    Hey everybody, I'm thinking of getting a Chris Reeve with a Damascus blade because I like the look, but what's making me hesitate is that I've never had experience with damascus before.

Do any of you with CRK Damascus knives use yours for hard work or camping? How do the damascus blades hold up? Do they scratch badly or anything like that?

I'm willing to spend the extra money to get the damascus blade, but not if it makes the knife noticeably worse for real use or sharpening.

Thanks!!

loon#r likes this.
  2. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I have EDC’ed various Damascus CRK for years. The Damascus will fade a little over the years. Especially with abrasive cardboard and such. As far as a scratching, it will not scratch any easier than S35VN will. I am probably subconsciously more careful with Damascus, but I do not hesitate to use and enjoy it.

Alsharif, guy g, loon#r and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Yep it’ll fade and scratch. I think Crk states it doesn’t hold an edge as good as S35VN but I personally can’t tell much difference. I like the way it looks worn tho. I’ve worked this particular Damascus pretty well. 9D83ED55-478A-45A4-B724-DD9BE77BC030.jpeg 93ADE863-1D02-466A-A168-C499D3F4AA76.jpeg 27085CCC-7EE8-4C2A-B1D9-ACCE55CCB95A.jpeg

BTGuy, BD_01, kidcongo and 11 others like this.
  4. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Here’s mine with moderate use, you can’t see the light scratches, but they’re there. You can see the fading near the thumb studs and toward the tip.
    I don’t have any with Chad Nichols Damascus, mine are Devin Thomas. They appear to look the same as far as finish goes. Don’t know if one holds up better than the other.

89116121-F2B6-4152-8A84-97AAE73504AB.jpeg

kidcongo, guy g, loon#r and 4 others like this.
  5. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I have always likened CRK’s Damascus ( Devin Thomas ) to perform like S30V. I have always loved the S30V that CRK used, so was always a win win for me. I haven’t owned any of Chad Nichols, but have heard great things. I need more 21 damascus in my life....lol

bart1, mvm217, guy g and 2 others like this.
  6. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I’ve got a few CN Damascus and have been pleased with them, raindrop anyhow. I much more prefer the DT Ladder. There’s a few 21 Damascus I wish I would’ve picked up when they were more readily available

bart1, mvm217, guy g and 1 other person like this.
  7. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    Great blades, holds an edge fine, joy to use, makes me happy every time I pull mine out.They seem to wear in with the knife.

8. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Check out this thread, it will help you a lot!

9. biggerjon

biggerjon Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2006
    CRK will re-etch the blade for a fee too. I figure that is good for you to know.

Dcdavis likes this.