• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Damascus Hunter in Raindrop Pattern

G L Drew

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have been asked a few times why I don't temper my blades into the Rc 60's. I used to do that but about 25 years ago my son and I were packing elk meat and my son had a large knife that I made for him. He was cutting limbs and hacking away at things (he was 19 at the time) and held up his knife to show me a broken chunk out of the edge. It wasn't from a crack formed in the blade making process it was just too hard for the work he was doing with it. So, when I get asked "how do you test your knives my smart aleck answer is "I take them hunting".

From a billet that I forged with 120 layers of 15N20 and 1084 high carbon steel
Heat treated in my Evenheat furnace to Rc 58-60 with three normalizing and two tempering cycles creating a fine grain structure
Flat grind
Professionally stabilized figured walnut handle with brass and Micarta fixtures
Overall length: 10 1/2 inches
Blade: 5 1/2 inches
Leather scabbard with a belt loop for a right hand carry

$290 delivered within the US. My PayPal and email address is gldrewknves@gmail.com

IMG_8626 by Gerald Drew, on FlickrIMG_8625 by Gerald Drew, on FlickrIMG_8627 by Gerald Drew, on FlickrIMG_8628 by Gerald Drew, on FlickrIMG_8622 by Gerald Drew, on Flickr

Last edited:
I don't often see damascus I really like, but dadgum folks, there's some right there in a knife I'd love to own. The patterns in the blade are so organic in shape and the overall profile is so intriguing.

Back