Damascus Pics

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm attempting to get pics of the whole batch, here are some teasers for fun!

053-10_zps3b759c2e.jpg

8c36d2f5-3d02-469b-85fa-487c5a741639_zpsfa70f828.jpg

102-3_zps093fbc19.jpg

067-7_zpsdf6b4611.jpg

060-5_zps6c792f55.jpg

Pics are looking good Daniel!

If you want to go for a shallow depth of field, put the camera in Apeture Priority mode ("A" mode) and dial the apeture open (smaller number like f/2), this will automatically set a faster shutter speed, allow more light and get rid of the soft focus like in that detail shot of your mark.

Btw, the knives are frikken awesome!!!

You got me wanting one!

-Xander

Pics are looking good Daniel!

If you want to go for a shallow depth of field, put the camera in Apeture Priority mode ("A" mode) and dial the apeture open (smaller number like f/2), this will automatically set a faster shutter speed, allow more light and get rid of the soft focus like in that detail shot of your mark.

Btw, the knives are frikken awesome!!!

You got me wanting one!

-Xander

so-so pics, I have taken over 200 so far but the lighting is just spotty

Good tips! I think it is going into a funny mode because the light is so odd.

Oooh, oooh... good teaser.
lol I was seriously hoping for a bunch of good picws! I just took more and have a few uploading.

Harrumph!
I'm trying! :D Yours is a day or two behind these but should be soon.

114-1_zpsf5dfd778.jpg

123-2_zps117dcfc5.jpg

157-3_zps31974fe8.jpg

159-4_zps74df9a31.jpg

Grim reaper hiding on the right in the Damascus!

162_zpse040e108.jpg

173_zps107b7233.jpg

The signature is only .062" Tall...

188-2_zpsff32d619.jpg

Enhanced artsy pics...

20cbe281-6266-4fd9-8aad-8825d5db7963_zpsa445a181.jpg

6919d38f-1ca4-4454-adfc-ccc73e66826b_zpse402421c.jpg

Man, that lefty standard is TEH SEXAY!!!

Makers Mark is too small, though. :D

From what I can see in the lighting, it looks real flat. Try setting the white balance to shade or cloudy and see what that looks like. Don't be afraid of using artificial light during the day, just make sure to avoid spot lighting. Oh, and taking 200 pics for just a couple keepers means you are just getting started! I have taken over 1500 pics in one day during just one event! Learning to sort them out later is the hard part, lol!

You deffinitely have the eye for some good shots, now its just learning the equipment!

I'll be watching here for what hits the block, I'm very tempted to pick up a dama-dashi if they're available!

-X

Man, that lefty standard is TEH SEXAY!!!

Makers Mark is too small, though. :D

:D I can deal with that! :D

I'm always trying to get the best and deepest mark possible and spend a ton of time getting them right so they last. Recently I changed some techniques up and wasn't getting as deep of and etch but now I know why and it is back on like donkey kong!

From what I can see in the lighting, it looks real flat. Try setting the white balance to shade or cloudy and see what that looks like. Don't be afraid of using artificial light during the day, just make sure to avoid spot lighting. Oh, and taking 200 pics for just a couple keepers means you are just getting started! I have taken over 1500 pics in one day during just one event! Learning to sort them out later is the hard part, lol!

You deffinitely have the eye for some good shots, now its just learning the equipment!

I'll be watching here for what hits the block, I'm very tempted to pick up a dama-dashi if they're available!

-X

OK, sounds good! I think I needed to set up some lighting and should have, right now I need some new bulbs. I'm getting a combo of bright and shaded light coming through the moving pines, lol it is bad! Indoor setup time or as mentioned learn my gear more.. I am getting a bit of the hang of it so far but just barely.

I'll keep you guys updated on the status of everything, most of these were orders and I'm waiting on a few emails.

I think on these more popular ones (I have gotten over 100 emails on these) will be sold through a lottery system on occasion, I want everyoine to get a chance and it is tough managing emails. I want everyone to get what they want! I can already tell I need to order a few more big billets. :D

Dude, remember what I told you about the bulbs? Don't trip too much on it, for instance, my pic of the three spikes was done with an ordinary desk lamp (1 100w incandescent bulb) 4 sheets of white printer paper, some masking tape, and taken with my cell phone!!!

The limitations of your set up right now are just learning what to use when. Its all there, trust me! Don't throw money at the issue!

I'm going to be building some new light fixtures for studio work, I'll build an extra one for you, but you will need to build your own shade and supply the bulbs. It will take almost any bulb and will be able to handle crazy wattage.

Enough about the pics, I need a a new knife from you soon, and if any of these become available I just might jump on it!

-X

SCHWIING!! I'm curious what you're going to do for wraps? Almost hate to see that Damascus covered up at all, which sort of implies simple low profile natural material. What you guys think?

Thanks Daniel!
Come and get them gang!
:D

Dude, remember what I told you about the bulbs? Don't trip too much on it, for instance, my pic of the three spikes was done with an ordinary desk lamp (1 100w incandescent bulb) 4 sheets of white printer paper, some masking tape, and taken with my cell phone!!!

The limitations of your set up right now are just learning what to use when. Its all there, trust me! Don't throw money at the issue!

I'm going to be building some new light fixtures for studio work, I'll build an extra one for you, but you will need to build your own shade and supply the bulbs. It will take almost any bulb and will be able to handle crazy wattage.

Enough about the pics, I need a a new knife from you soon, and if any of these become available I just might jump on it!

-X

The lights are no big problem, I just need to do some more set up for pics. :D More knives soon!

SCHWIING!! I'm curious what you're going to do for wraps? Almost hate to see that Damascus covered up at all, which sort of implies simple low profile natural material. What you guys think?

No wrap! :D everything is fully rounded, they feel great in the hand. I just couldn't cover up that beautiful damascus!

Seriously- if you sent me one of those with a wrap, I'd instantly tear it off. And I'd begin to doubt your sanity.

OK, that's already in doubt.

:D Sounds good!

This is the coolest damascus, I really want to get some awesome photos so you guys can really tell!:cool:

Send us the knives. We'll take the pics. ;)

Lol I think that may happen! It's about to rain here.

These will be getting sent out ASAP, I want to get these in everyone's hands soon!

This billet of Damascus made 8 knives and will be spread around the world, kind of cool!

Back