damascus renewal..

I have an mcusta knife with a VG10 blade layered with damascus. Rge damascus is not evenly colored as i have dark portions of it. Is there anyway I can polish it or treat it with to make the damascus look nicer?

It can be re-etched using ferric chloride solution, but that is best left to an expert.
Bill

There are several ways of doing it. Here are 2 ways I use to etch my keris.

1. Cold blue the metal and then lightly polish it with a fine grade of steel wool.

2. The more traditional way of etching 'damascus' steel here requires the use and application of citrus fruit juices, lemon or lime. Pineapple may be used since it also contains enough acid to etch the steel. Its very slow, but you get to stop the process at the desired time.

I used Flitz to slightly polish the damascus blade on one of my MCusta knives. That knife came from the factory with brown stains (some form of oxidation) on the blade. I put a dab of Flitz on a paper towel, then rubbed the blade down for a few minutes. The damascus lightened up quite a bit, but the layers are still visible and it looks a lot better.

If you do an extensive polishing job with the Flitz, the blade will become more uniformly silver, with less contrast between the layers. That will look a lot like the damascus scales on the steel handled Mcusta knives that I’ve seen, where there aren’t really any dark layers.

On my other MCusta knife, the etching is a little uneven, so there are some areas that are a bit blacker than they should be. (I that’s the situation you’re describing, dannyv.) That personally doesn’t bother me though. I know it will probably never really look perfect, so I’m just not going to fool with it.

One thing to watch out for when using Flitz is that you don’t want to spend too much time polishing one spot on the blade. That can create shiny, irregular splotches on the finish. Also, the stamp on the blade that says “MCUSTA” is actually etched on and Flitz will remove it pretty quickly.

you can also try hot vinegar (too hot to touch, but not boiling) with a drop of liquid soap in it. Just wipe it on with cotton balls and q-tips. But beware, it's messy and stinky! (but cheap and easy...)

I have been trying to re etch a blade from 1095 & L6 I have the Ferric Chloride but its in solid cake form and knowing the correct ratio is hard. I tried numerous times to etch the blade but all I get is a really bad gray on the metal. I have lightly rubbed it off with 0000 wire wool but by the time its off it has taken away the darker contrast too. I repeatedly tried to contact the maker to ask him to re do this for me but he never gets back to me.

What should I do to do this properly?

What grit finish should the blade be before the etch?
What kind of cleaner should I use before the etch?
What weight of solid FeCl should I use to water?

Any help appreciated

I'd start with a solution that looks something like iced tea, and go stronger if that turns out too weak.

Back