Damascus supplier for a clever?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by probe3, Jan 16, 2021.

1. probe3

probe3

Jul 13, 2015
    Greetings fine folks. I'm a hobbyist knifemaker (stock removal) and I'm desperately looking for a supplier that sells 4" wide Damascus. I want to make a clever/veggie chopper out of 1084/15n20 but I'll suffice with 1095/15n20 or similar. Really having a hard time finding billets and bars wider than 2".

Thank you.

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I would go with Alabama damascus for a project like that. They have it up to 6" wide. Give them a call.

SBuzek likes this.
  3. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    This

4. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    I just made one... and worked with WEO to get the billet. If you look back in the “what’s going on in your shop” thread you will find a photo of the final product

5. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Thanks for the mention, Cush.
    I was going to post that I'm starting to do more of this and plan on putting up some billets on the for sale section soon. Go start a conversation if you want.

6. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    You are welcome. I was not sure if you had the bandwidth ..... it is good to hear that you do!!

7. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    bandwidth??

8. Cushing H.

Jun 3, 2019
    sorry. my wife hates it when I use that term casually also. comes from information theory and signal processing - and refers to the amount of information you can push through a wire/telephone/transatlantic cable/computer bus/radio signal. It is actually more than one simultaneous stream of data or conversation. Having some bandwidth means "I have time to do some more stuff". Having no bandwidth means "I am all full up - dont have any time to do what you are asking......"

Like I said, my wife hates it when I say that to her.....

weo likes this.
  9. weo

Sep 21, 2014
    Well, good thing I'm not you wife, then....;)

I was going to say, my internet is fine.:) (sorry for the digression, probe3)

10. Blackdirt cowboy

Blackdirt cowboy

Oct 29, 2015
    @weo, I’d like to visit with you about your Damascus. Could you email me, please? [email protected]

Thanks

11. weo

Sep 21, 2014
    E-mail sent, thanks.

12. probe3

probe3

Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks everyone. I ended up purchasing a billet from Alabama damascus, the width was only 3 7/16" OAW though, wasn't able to find anything wider on his website.

13. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Did you call him?