Damascus suppliers

I'm looking to have Ted Frizzell do a large persian-style blade for me in damascus. Since he doesn't normally work in damascus, he's given me the oportunity to seek out a supplier. The few places I've checked for pricing range from $12 to $30/inch, depending on pattern and material. Since the size of the knife is to be 16" (10" blade), it's looking like the price for the stock will be out of my range (combined of course with the charge of making the knife). Does anyone know of a damascus maker/supplier with prices more within my grasp?

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

------------------
John Gonzalez
Exclusive Dealer
Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works

TRY TEXAS KNIFEMAKERS SUPPLY , THEY HAVE THE SAME PATTERNS, PRICES AND SIZES AS KNIFESUPPLIES.COM. THEIR DAMASCUS ALSO IS EASY TO WORK WITH ANS HEAT TREATS LIKE O-1.
CHUCK

------------------
A Knife is no more than an Iron Tooth

John,

You are not going to want to hear this but you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap inexpensive damascus you will have welding flaws and will not get a quality knife.

My advice is to buy from one of the many damascus makers who have an established reputaion and stand behind thier work.

My recomendation is Devin Thomas Damascus but then Im biased since Im production manager for his shop.

Arthur D. Washburn
ADW Custom Knives
www.adwcustomknives.com

Thanks for your help, everyone. It looks like Damasteel doesn't make stock in that large of a size. Basically it would be difficult and costly to get anyone to do it. Looks like I'm going to have to put that project on the backburner for a while. Thanks again!

------------------
John Gonzalez
Exclusive Dealer
Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works

Kumdo, contact Damasteel directly. They have had in the past, stock in very large sizes. I have always gotten quick response to questions. They have a USA Rep here...Michael something or the other. He is always good to talk to. I love their steel.

Back