Damascus war hawk

The head on this one is 1095 and 15n20 random damascus with an 01 core forged by Chad Nichols and forged to shape by me.Haft is weathered barn oak and is 2 pieces laminated together.The head is pinned with 4 steel pins hidden beneath the wrappings. The haft has four peened brass pins and a few copper tacks, rawhide wrappings and a carved ball end, and is finished in tung oil and Tru Oil.
DSC02868.jpg

DSC02867.jpg

DSC02866.jpg

Love the hawk head, at first I wasn't so happy about the tapered shaft, but, looking at it again, it's growing on me.

Trying to come up with some out of the ordinary way of describing this unit. Words fail me so I'll just say that it is one of the most neatest, coolest, gorgeous things with a sharpened edge that I ever did see.

Please do let us know how the handle to blade fixture works out. Will it be thrown, heavy chopping? Let us know how it holds up. If anyone else has any experience with hawk head fixtures like this, let me know. I'm thinking up a hawk head design I want to try (limited to stock removal and flat bar stock) and have no idea how it wil hold up.
Also, that is one of the most gorgeous hawks I have ever seen!

Thanks everyone.I did some chopping with this one, and it held up well. I can't bring myself to throw it though.Maybe the end customer will give it a toss or two.
I can't see any reason it would'nt hold up to heavy use. There is absolutely no play in the blade, and it is stonger than you think it would be. This old wood is over a hundred years old and is hard as hell!

It's all beautiful, and all business, all at the same time.

What is not to love? ;):thumbup:

Nice work John, I really like the look/pattern In that Damascus Steel, And the 100 year old Oak Handle look's great "You did a nice job on It" All In all It's "Beautiful" & That Cutting edge & Spike Woo-Wee "Very Nice !" Thank's for sharing the picture's, I wouldnt throw It either, "Battle/War Hawk All The Way !

Back