Damasteel Maintenance on Michael Zieba custom knife

Hi all! Just joined the forum, and super excited to learn. I made the plunge, and bought a custom handmade Michael Zieba knife (S7 with damasteel blade and marbled carbon fiber handle. It is genuinely a piece of art. Even though I understand the shortcomings of damasteel vs super steels, I still plan to use it as a "light use" EDC (I really don't need a workhorse knife on a daily basis). I just LOVE to look at my new knife every day, even if I only use it to cut paper, maybe a carton box and some food. So my questions are the following:

- How do I maintain the damasteel (as I understand it is more corrosion resistant than damascus steel) ... would regular mineral oil be sufficient (as I cut food with it).

- Can I / should I strop the damasteel on a daily basis, and how do you feel about using a 6000 grit sanding belt (Ken Onion Work Sharp) just to keep the edge maintained. For real sharpening, I plan to send the knife to the knifemaker (Zieba) once a year, so really looking at something to just maintain the damasteel edge (which I understand is harder).

Thanks for your answers ... trying to paste pictures of the knife, not sure if pictures come through, but it is a thing of beauty (in my opinion at least!).

http://www.ziebaknives.com/shop/48

This is the link to the knife I bought! Thanks again! Really appreciate the help.

I've had a Damasteel blade for about a year now and I haven't done anything special to it. Just keep it sharp on a Spyderco Ultra Fine benchstone. I've never had any issues w/ corrosion at all.

Mineral Oil can't hurt though. Although not sure it's all that necessary unless if a very humid or salty environment.

Beautiful Zieba!

Damasteel is basically damascus patterned steel that made via powdered process which involve no any forge welding at all. So Damasteel should be considered "super steel" as much as any other PM steel.

Both steel being use in the recipe RWL-34 and PMC27 are stainless, I think you would be fine as long as you keep it clean and dry after every use.

Last edited:
Beautiful piece!
I own a lot of Damasteel knives. It is without doubt one of the very best edc steels out there. As long as you keep salt, blood and other corrosive compounds of it you will have no problems with corrosion.
I wipe down my edc blades with a little gun oil every few weeks but mineral oil will be fine as well. I think you will be surprised just how well it holds an edge.
Enjoy;)

Beautiful piece!
I own a lot of Damasteel knives. It is without doubt one of the very best edc steels out there. As long as you keep salt, blood and other corrosive compounds of it you will have no problems with corrosion.
I wipe down my edc blades with a little gun oil every few weeks but mineral oil will be fine as well. I think you will be surprised just how well it holds an edge.
Enjoy;)
I think that this is the right place /and moment / to ask .....How durable is pattern on Damasteel with prolonged use ? I hope question is understandably ,sorry for my bad English :thumbsup:

Back