Darn it!

Had my Recruit sitting on the cargo mat of our SUV and accidentally knocked it off, the knife landed blade edge down on pretty coarse cement. The damage was a few pretty good dimples in the blade edge and of course some scrapes on the scales. Thanks to the softer, tougher steel Vic uses a few minutes progressing from medium carborundum through fine Arkansas and a very fine ceramic rod and the blade is paper slitting sharp again. Had this been a very hard "super" steel it probably would have had serious chip damage if not a broken blade.

Whenever one of my knives falls off of a surface, it always seems to go in slow motion, especially if it's open. I always have to remind myself not to try to catch it on the way down, regardless of the damage the knife might sustain from impact. "A falling knife has no handle."

That's one reason I like SAKs. Blade easy to sharpen and/or repair.
Once saw a guy try to catch a Japanese sword blade from hitting floor at
a weapons show. Nearly lost his hand - Had to call for medical help.
Hsherzfeld's advice is right one.
Rich

They do indeed.
I'm an electrician and I sill bag my engineer friend about how I was smarter than him when I dropped a knife; I treat it like live wires-i.e. jump back and away. Whereas he tried to catch it and had a long discussion with the nice tendon surgery doctor and a long rehab to get his hand function back !

Back