Darrel Ralph questions...

From Darrel's web page, http://www.darrelralph.com/1mainframe.htm, the Dominator is a Drop Point.

The knife you are asking about is the Fighter, an upswept point.

I like the EDC a lot, and own the frame lock/integral lock in 420V. I kid you not when I say that of the three DDR knives I own, Darrel's heat treat is such that I can get a really great, shaving but aggressive edge on his knives. Only knife I can get sharper is a Rick Dunkerly 52100. I think DDR leaves the steel a point or so soft vs. typical hardness, but man, do his knives take a great edge. (I own about 80 knives I think, so that's an ok sample size, but surely not definitive).

If you want extra stout lock, do the frame/integral. If you want a more refined look, i.e. one where the scales cover the frame on both sides, do the liner.

For me, there are only a few people who do frame locks, so I grab those when I can from good makers.

Hey great to hear from you!

As you know, I always opt for extra stout. :D In this case, I like the strength of the integral lock but the look of the CF/liner lock (I wish more custom makers would make "covered" integral locks, a la Elishewitz)...speaking of appearance, does the Ti frame scratch easily?

Thanks,
RL

RL, contact Darrel about your wants. He has made what amounts to an integral lock with CF scales. I had one at one time. It's the best of both worlds!

Hi Dirk,

Thanks...you wouldn't happen to have a scan by any chance??

Just out of curiosity, why did you get rid of that knife? Also, what are your thoughts about the EDC in general?

Thanks,
RL

Definitely a fighter type blade ! And awesome too !

I know. . .I have one in 420V. . .solid CF handle. . .and a liner lock version.

It's a EDC ! Razor sharp, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' ! :D

I bet that "Talonite" blade is sweet too !

Maybe one day a DDR Talonite will rest in my right front pocket !

I have had a total of 4 different EDC's;

Ti frame D/A with Fighter blade in 420V
Ti frame with Dominator in 420V
Stainless steel liner, carbon fiber scales, Dominator blade in 420V
Stainless steel liner, carbon fber scales, Dominator blade with a forged 52100 blade

I much prefer the carbon fiber model due to it's lighter weight, resistance to scratching, better lock-up and I just like the looks and feel better. I also prefer the bellyof the Dominator blade. Steel of choice is the forged 52100, while the 420V would get scary sharp, the 52100 is another step up IMHO. The only one I have now is the 52100 version for these reasons.

I think that the anodized Ti versions are really unique looking among the knives being made currently. As rdangerer said, there are fewer guys doing framelocks it seems and that's desireable to me also. It's an elegantly simple solution.

If you haven't checked lately, Darrel just revamped his website and the photos are great:

www.darrelralph.com

Drool.

Having the choice of two otherwise similar folders,
the framelock will always get the nod.
quality Carbon fiber scaled linerlocks are a dime a dozen
Framelocks as nice as darrels' are rare.

recoil

I've got a 4" CF linerlock EDC. Several points:

The linerlock has no relief in the handle to release the lock with your thumb like a normal linerlock. You have to stick a fingernail in against the lock and pull back to release it, so closing the knife is a two hand proposition. I only talked to Darrel a few minutes at a knife show, but I got the impression all EDC's were this way. The one I've got is the only one I've seen, though. It sure won't close by gripping the knife too tight.

The liner is hardened stainless about as thick as a framelock lockbar. Carbon fiber is common, but the construction of this linerlock is not so common. No wimpy Ti liners, here.

Mine's Crucible D2M, about 1 percent more Chromium than D2. So you can get that if you want.

General impressions are it's hell for stout, gets sharp, stays sharp, and is a very nice grind. The blade has that high, thin grind that makes it a good slicer, but the blade is still thick at the spine, and it thickens a little toward the tip.

I bought the carbon fiber on looks alone, so I'd say do the same, buy whichever looks best to you, you can't really go wrong.

I have two Apogees and I like them very much. Both are the anodized titanium frame locks. One is a millenium model with DDRM on the clip and 420V blade and the other is new style with Talonite. I prefer the Talonite one and the coloring makes for a pretty knife. The Talonite cuts like crazy and is a no maintenace blade. I like both and I am dissapointed that he decided to discontinue the Apogee. I don't think that can go wrong with any of Darrels knives. I would post a picture but since Photopoint took a dump I can't do that.

I have 7 EDCs in various blade and handle materials and of both lock mechanisms. By default I prefer the integral bar lock. It is a very strong lock, solid, and allows the knife to be as slim as possible for comfortable carry. Also, if you go to the EDC section of Darrel's revamped site, all the knives pictured there are mine :)

My 4" CF EDC, as 92degrees pointed out, is a liner lock. The handle on this knife is pretty thick - thick stainless liners, thick CF scales, it's built like a tank. The steel liners thickness is more than most liner locks, and as a result, the lockup is extremely solid with no play. On all 4" EDCs Darrel uses a full length solid steel handle spacer that also pulls double duty as the blade stop. What you have is a solid knife overall. However, the titanium IBL EDC's make great, well, EDCs ;) Relatively light weight and slim. They are quite stylish and due to the anodized frame they usually are eye catching knives, even for non-knife folks. I have recently been toting around the 3" EDC. Imagine the Camillus version on steroids. It is the same length but the overall thickness is considerably more. It is compact but powerful in the cut.

D2M is a great steel for this knife - holds an edge well, has lots of bite, and is relatively easy maintenance. I love the grinds that Darrel is putting on them now. He hollow grinds using 14" contact wheel on his slack belt to make the edge thin, but not too thin where durability is an issue. The result? My two 4" EDCs cut like friggin' lasers. And with the 14" hollow grind, resharpening them is quite easy and I can get a hair popping sharp edge every time. I have some older EDCs that are flat ground, and I can tell a slight difference in performace...but they still cut great.

Talonite is great if you can get it. Its non corrosive and non-staining. Basically use it, wipe it off, and go. It's a low maintenance blade material. From what I have heard from other sources, its a great material for field dressing too. The only downside Talonite has IMO is the high cost. But it is well worth it as a user though.

I love the EDC, its my all time favorite custom folder. Looks great, is a comfortable, well thought out design, and most of all a very well made folder. Whichever variation you choose you cannot go wrong.

WOW 7 of them? Now that's what I call Every Day Carry (good thing it wasn't called "every minute carry" or you'd probably have 60 of them!) :D

Thanks for the informative post.

RL

Originally posted by RL
WOW 7 of them? Now that's what I call Every Day Carry (good thing it wasn't called "every minute carry" or you'd probably have 60 of them!) :D

Thanks for the informative post.

RL

Yep, blame me for Darrel's long wait period :D :p I keep him hopping. LOL! You're welcome for the info. If you have specific question please feel free to email me anytime.

No scans any longer. I had to clear out some files and I didn't keep very many knife pics.

At one time I had a DDR collection that was very competetive with Dexter's! in fact, through a round about way, Dexter has one of my EDC's possibly two. The BASTID said he won't ever sell them back to me! That's just wrong!:p Back to topic, I sold that EDC with almost my entire collection, not just DDR, because I am such a financial wizard.:rolleyes: :eek:

What do I think of the EDC, as Dex said, a freakin' tank of a knife! The standard size is the perfet, well... EDC. Enough blade for most cutting chores, small enough for easy carry, handle fits the average hand almost to perfection. I prefer the 4" EDC. I just think it has a better look than the standard. Talk to Darrel and tell him exactly what you are looking for and he will build you a knife beyond your expectations!

Now, whatever happens, we can't let Darrel read any of these posts. He doesn't need an ego boost!:p

Originally posted by Dirk
Now, whatever happens, we can't let Darrel read any of these posts. He doesn't need an ego boost!:p [/B]

I'm not so concerned about his ego...I just don't want him to raise his prices ;)

Incidentally, I have a stupid question...now I know that the name is "EDC" and everyone mentions cutting chores but with blade names like "Dominator" and "Fighter" I have to wonder...was this knife designed as a utility blade or as a "fighter" (dare I say, "tactical")??

Thanks,
RL

Hi Dirk!

Dexter has one of my EDC's possibly two. The BASTID said he won't ever sell them back to me! That's just wrong!

Yep, I still have that mastodon one. It's even seen (GASP!) some use :D

Now, whatever happens, we can't let Darrel read any of these posts. He doesn't need an ego boost!

No kidding....he's got a big enough noggin already :p :D

RL - got your email, will respond to you tonight.

Here's a pic Dirk sent me a while back when I was looking for info on EDC's. The Fighter style is the second from the left (clip point) and the others are Dominator style (drop point).

I just recieved mine a few weeks ago. Mine is a 3" fighter style, D2M blade, slotted CF handle w/gold heat colored hardware and tip up carry. Friggin outstanding knife. Built like a tank like others have said.

You really can't go wrong.

Take care,
Tom

Attachments

• edc7.jpg
    edc7.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 251
Tom, thanks for posting the pic! I miss those knives!:( I think I am going to have to do a night time raid of Darrel's shop right before the Blade show!;)

Back