Darter Push Dagger WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'll do another WIP knife, this time a push dagger. This one is inspired by Virgil Englands work, he has been my favorite maker for a long time. This dagger is based on a skull of a bird called "African Darter", see pic below (photo copied from skullsite.com). The steel is 1080 and the overall length is 6".

1.jpg

2.jpg

Starting to cut out the eye socket.
3.jpg

Eye socket complete.
4.jpg

Nose hole finished.
5.jpg

Textured and ready for bevels.
6.jpg

I'll post some more pics later tonight. Now back to work:)

crap.:eek:
my mind can't handle all this creativity, I better go and drink a beer.

OH man... as soon as I saw the skull I broke my creativity bone. :p SOOO Inspired and Inspiring. An artist's mind and eye.

Bevels ground and handrubbed.
7.jpg

Heat treated.
8.jpg

Beginning clean up.
9.jpg

More tomorrow.

John, texturing is done with a carbide burr. Todays work:

Profiled the Bocote handle scales.
10.jpg

Sanding and contouring the scales.
11.jpg

Scales are ready for gluing.
12.jpg

More tomorrow.

Serge, I love the fact that you can look at a birds skull and see a knife in it...you really are one seriously talented chap and what I'd describe as 'sideways thinking'!:cool:

I'd love to have even half of your design talent. Every knife you make is distinctly 'Panchenko'.

To make knives with your own unique identity is a skill in it's self.

Impressive stuff.:thumbup:

Ian

Ian, thank you brother!

Todays work..Beggining to shape the brass plates.
13.jpg

14.jpg

The handle is fitted, brass plates are textured and fitted, the blade spine and all around the handle scales texturing complete.

15.jpg

I'll be gluing up the handle tomorrow.

Thanks guys:)

Todays progress... The brass plates have been pinned on.
16.jpg

Beginning to patinate.
17.jpg

Blade is 100% complete, handle needs to be glued on (already done).
18.jpg

I think I just need one more morning to complete it, so tomorrow the dagger should be done:)

VERY cool WIP Serge.

Thanks for posting it and i'll be looking forward to seeing the finished dagger.

Peter

Thanks! The Darter Push Dagger is finished. I still need to make a stand for it, hopefully in the next day or so. This one was time consuming, but I think it came out well. I'll be starting another project soon, I'll try to make it a WIP as well. Thanks for all who were following this thread, and I hope you guys enjoyed it!

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Serge, you are amazing. I know that may sound trite, but I am truly blown away by your creativity AND your ability to pull it off. Amazing, really...

The only downside is that now that your talent is "out of the bag", I'm going to have to sprint to your table when the doors open at this year's Blade Show in Atlanta :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back