Dating Boxes and Logos

Two questions for the more experienced collectors out there....

1) I've seen Bucks in boxes ranging from brown, blue, black, to the the more familiar green/tan combination to the current white box, with the catagories on the sides in different colors. Can anyone set up sort of a "dateline" for which box was used when?

2) I am familiar with two Buck Company Logos - the older Bolt & Hammer, and the newer Triangle w/ the mountains inside. When did the company change to the new style, and are there any other "common" logos the company used? (I'm not asking about knife "stampings")

TIA!!! ;)

I just talked to another BCCI member regarding my questions and have a better idea of the time frame for the boxes and the logo change. If anyone else is interested I will post the info here.... if not, I extend my thanks to those I talked to and will let it go.

Dan, I'm intersted in having some insite on the datline of Buck boxes. I've always been a little confused as to the sequence.

Thanks,
Jerry Quinn
BCC#1177

OK Jerry.... and others

From what I've gathered, the list below is a "rough" time line for when the different style boxes were used. Keep in mind that this info pertains to the Standard Production knives of the time, not the Customs or Special Order knives. Also keep in mind, as when dating the knives themselves, that there may have been an instance or two where the factory used up "old stock" even though they were starting to use a newer box. If anyone has better info, or something to add, please feel free to jump in. I'm actually kinda hoping that when Joe gets back in the office he will take a look here and add his thoughts.

• Pale Yellow Box, 2 Piece w/ Seperate Lid - Used in the 60's and 70's - this progressed to a 1 Peice Yellow Box used on the 100 Sereies, 110's and 112's
  • Dark Brown Box for 110 and 112's, Yellow Box still used on Fixed Blade - used in the mid 1980's
  • Brown Box w/ Wood Grain look used for 110's and maybe 112's - used in the late 1980's
  • Black Box w/ White Printing - first used somewhere around 1990
  • Familiar Green and Tan - first used around 1997
  • Current white box with the 4 Catagories on the side panels introduced around 2000
  • The New Logo of the Triangle with the mountains was introduced somewhere in 1997 or 1998

There were other boxes used as well for a particular series. For example the SKINS series used boxes that sorta match the knife, as did the TREASURY Series, using boxes tha matched the color of the knife and the older MEMORY Series used a Blue and White box for a while, etc.

This list is no where near the FINAL WORD on boxes. It is the result of a conversation with someone who has been collecting Bucks a whole lot longer that I have and who keeps pretty good records, but who doesn't like to type :rolleyes:. The info was given to me from memory so there may be gaps. If so, I will correct as needed. Again, if someone else can verify or correct a mistake - jump on in....

(BTW - Jerry, you've got to let me win a knife on Ebay once in a while now) :D

(Edited to correct some info...) 3/5/03

Back