Daughter's first knife?

Crag the Brewer said:
No...unfortunately I only have the 5.....
Here you go, then
WCwp2Qp.jpg

All this talk prompted me to order a set of scales for the 11...but apparently the vendor I chose takes its sweet time sending out orders; so there won't be pics until early November. (Honestly, I'm not exactly known for my patience in these matters; and I'm considering ordering a set through somebody I know ships promptly)

Last edited:

Great set of pictures and good to see skills being passed down.

And I agree ... you can't not have a 9 ... I got into Beckers through the 5 and 15 ... I have multiplies of both and they see the most use at home and in the field ... are my go to butchering knives with some dedicated Forschner knives ...

I was a bit later trying the 9 ... but once I got it ... it took the place of a couple other knives in that range ... it's light and very handy for it's size ...and it can do almost anything from small tasks carving if needed to chopping and batoning ... after you get a few Beckers the 9 will start whispering in your ear.

a few of my favorites ...
2018-10-20 11.38.26.jpg

I started with a 7, myself... and it was when they were being made by Camillus. The 9 was next (also a Camillus); but, for the longest time, I stuck with the 7 exclusively. (To be honest, I never did use that first 9; but I still have it.) It wasn't until I found this forum that I saw the 9 in a different light, and bought my first Kabar.
From my own experience, I offer this version of the adage...
You shouldn't not have a 9.

If the handle on the Five is a bit much but, she can handle it I think the Sixteen will fit the bill best.... A Nine in the family can be shared on campouts, your Five will do great Kitchen Duty and the Nine will handle all the “big” stuff.....I Always have an Eleven with a bit of bike inner tube to soften it up a bit and it is ALWAYS with me......The Sixteen is very versatile and and should give her good service for the rest of her life.....

Thanks for this post....It has elicited some great photos and good comments.....

E

I think what Mr Becker is saying is that you should get a 16 AND an 11 for your daughter, and a 9 for yourself (ostensibly for family use)... but getting her the 11, you the 9, and both of you sharing a 16, is a perfectly reasonable option.

Where does one get this? It would be perfect for my daughter.
That was actually a Valentines Day giveaway a few years ago by K-9 Handler. He hasn’t been active on the forums for some time now.
Too bad. He made some really cool stuff!
My 8 yr old daughter loves this knife and uses it every time we go camping. Under supervision of course. :D

Wow, great work. I thought it might have been an official release.

View attachment 2468761

My son's first knife was a BK1 when he was 7 years old, back in 2008.

What a Freaking Awesome pic!!!

I don't have too much of an update myself......
My daughter loved her 62.

She's currently 15, in high school, getting excellent grades. We're beyond Proud.
.....and since I started dabbling into making blades, she Now wants a katana...... :0

Back