DAVID MIRABILE TSUNAMI FIGHTER (VIDEO)

I'm not known for speaking about factory pieces to often

But over the decades that I've been a knife nut I have amassed more that a few factory pieces that I still enjoy

Mostly folders because let's face it the world of prouduction fixed blades years ago was rather lacking

One such prouduction folder that was and is a favorite for me is the Cold Steel Talwar

Now I know some will be rather surprised

Don't be .... this folder is an amazing piece

Good materials and a wicked design combined with and excellent lock make this folder a very interesting piece

You really have to feel this knife to understand what and why I like it so much

It's a very unique weapon

From the ball on the end to the feel of the handle to the sweep of the Persian style blade this knife just feels and works well in the hand

It is a mini maylay weapon

Here is a brief video on why I like this knife

[video=youtube;UI82O5Bg744]

Now on to the project

I have often thought of having a custom version of this knife done but to be honest these ares so well done I don't know how they would improve upon it

Than the improvement dawned on me ..... a custom forged fixed bladed version in a custom leather sheath

Well I'm very fortunate to have many very skilled bladesmith friends

But none would be better suited than my brother David Mirabile

This metal mashing Alaskan bladesmith with his visceral approach to blade smithing would be the likely choice

Simple put David knows how to build a weapon

This slashing, bludgeoning, thrusting tool would be at its best as a fixed blade and I knew David would bring this piece to life

On to the materials and construction

This will be David's first integral

The blade the bolster area tapering to the tang which ends in the ball will be forged from my favorite Damascus...... Cable Damascus

Bill Bagwell calls cable Damascus Satin's Lace

I have found it to be a very good performer that takes on a nasty toothy Edge

As for handle scales

Either micarta or carbon fiber base scales with David's Carbon fiber Ito over wrap

to say that this should be a wicked carry piece from an outstanding maker would be quite the understatement

Let's get started

Cable

After a lot of folding and twisting he is ready for shaping

Shaping up nicely

Last edited:
You were supposed to call first...[emoji6][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the big round thing on the forge, if I may ask? Please tell me it's a huge doughnut magnet.:D

Only one pic for today but it's an important one :)

Forming the ball

The key to this knife is its shape and the ball at the end blended with the sweep of the blade

Everything has to work together to get the most of the design as a striking and slashing weapon

Love the Japanese-style hammer...[emoji375]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really moving along

On the prouduction folder the top Swedge is not sharpended do to it being a folder

On this variant it will be

This is gonna be sweet. David is a metal magician.

Back