Day 3 Birthday Present Giveaway: BK16

Back around 1962 or 1963, when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, my grandfather was working on some combining equipment. I was handing him whatever he needed. He got a shirt sleeve caught up in the gears. He reached down and pulled out his small Kabar hunter (don't know the model - just know it was one of the "small ones") and cut his sleeve loose. After he calmed down, he said "That's why you carry a fixed blade while working on this stuff. "

In my little kid wisdom, I asked what he would have done if his other arm had gotten caught and he couldn't reach the knife.:confused:

He just looked at me for a minute, turned off the equipment and said "Let's go." We got in the truck, drove 4 miles to the Western Auto store in town. They were out of Kabars, so he bought a Western model L66 (still have that one - he gave it to me later after he bought a 2nd Kabar).

He never worked around equipment again with out having a Kabar on each hip. After he died, my grandmother gave his Kabars to a couple of my cousins since I had the Western. Wish I could get them back, but they lost them somehow.:(

To this day, I carry at least 1 fixed blade everywhere and always 2 when working around equipment. I collect Kabars and Westerns to this day. Have over 70 Kabar and Western fixed blades, along with a couple of dozen bayonets, and bunch of camillus, ontario, imperial, PAL and Boker fixed blades. What can I say? I like fixed blade knives for a reason.:D

I have pre and post Ka-Bar Beckers, had a Potbelly stolen, and will always love my Mule. It's a little weighty but I could care less, it's tough and easy to sharpen. I also claim the only Becker Brute that far north in Canada, north shore of Lake Athabasca. It popped many a wing off of ptarmagan and spruce grouse with it. I like these knives, they are tough and useful. I want nothing as I already have a sweet little 16, thank you.

Best memory with a Kabar was when a friend of mine was lamenting the fact that the knife he carried in the service had been lost and how much he loved his kabar FU knife -- so I handed him a spare NIB early 80's vintage I had been carting around for years.
The look on his face was priceless.

Kabar were to start affordable, durable, classic designs with easy to use hardware. I just recently got into knives and luv how easy they are to customize and work on. I spend all day making art and design for other people but at night the blades come out to play. I really enjoy working on them I have a BK7, BK9 and just bought a BK2 on the forum today. A quick shot of my 2 bad boys in progress.

Jag not included
Bottomline buy'em, luv'em and make'em your own. There is alot of kabar's out their but these are mine :)

My father passed away recently, but a few years ago, I got him a USMC Ka-Bar as a gift. The last time we went fishing, he took that with him. We went up to the mountains in the morning, and in the evening we took a boat out to the ocean. We had a great time.

Since then Ka-bars have been my favorite blades, but the best of the best for me is the BK&T line. It takes the Ka-Bar quality and mixes it with those sweet Ethan Becker designs.

75361_564123053613858_187050418_n.jpg

One of the first knives I ever got to use or got my hands in as a wrong boy was my Grandfathers USMC KaBar & I have been in love w/ the knives ever since. Everytime I see one or get my hands on one it brings back memories of my grandfather & our fishing trips, working in his garden, or just spending time w/ him listening to his stories of the past. Great memories come from that knife for me !

When I first got into knives I bought a lot of cheap, nasty blades as well as some from other respected companies but just didn't like them so after hearing a lot of people say "Get anything by Ka-Bar" or "Ka-Bar this or that blah blah" I figured "Guess I'll give this weird named company a go..." and bought a BK-13 and 14...That was it...I was hooked on blades made by this bear slaying, marine equipping company and since then my collection has grown with many more in my sights. You just can't beat the price, quality and service from Ka-Bar.

Well, there are a lot of places where I have enjoyed Kabar, even before I had a few of their knives. I enjoyed seeing the USMC in movies, in history books, on the web...
When I got to know the knives I enjoyed using them. I love my BK14, love the steel, love the size...I love the whole package. It's such a versatile little fixed blade. Be it for edc, tasks around the house... It'll take care of it. I carry it on the strap of my backpack whenever I'm out hiking.
Recently I acquired an older kabar slipjoint, which excells in its simplicity. It's just a very handy tool to have in your pocket for all those smaller tasks that require cutting. Opening mail, cutting a string off of your clothes or shoes,... The other day it even broke down a few cardboard boxes, a task for which I tend to use stronger knives for such as the BK14, but it did it with ease.

Thanks for making these great products, and thanks for the continuing the assurance of having them around in the future as well.

Shortly after we started dating my girlfriend wanted to have a fire, roast hot dogs and marshmallows and enjoy some time outdoors. Now, my girlfriend is quite smart and very competent, but a city girl through and through. She knew that it would be a bad idea to cook food over a packaged fire log and that charcoal wouldn't give her quite the kind of fire she was looking for, but she had little to no idea how to go about starting a wood fire. Unfortunately, she did not tell me this before I was on the road to her house, so I didn't bring anything beyond the standard kit I keep in my car. Much more fortunately, I keep a Kabar Warthog in my trunk. I used that to split out some of the firewood she bought and, once I had a decent pile of kindling, grabbed some phone book paper tinder and fairly soon had a nice fire to cook some franks. A good time was had by all.

I carry a next generation, cryo quenched Kabar in my truck at all times. It goes with me if I'm out working cattle, fencing, cutting limbs in prep to teach a high angle class, working construction, cleaning a gutter, camping...
It's just there in case I need it.

i remember my dad bought me a kabar too take camping i ate many a pork and bean stirred with that knife and whittled many a stick too put marshmellows on and hot dogs!

I called KA-BAR and spoke with Tooj about something that I didnt think he could do for me. Turned out that not only could he help me out, he did so quickly and generously.
I have been very happy with my KA-BAR knives, and Becker knives, and the service that I have received, both from KA-BAR, and master Tooj and Mr Becker personally.

Yesterday it was nice outside so I took my bk9 out and sat on the front porch carving up some sticks. I got some funny looks from my neighbors but whatever. Its the only bk I own for now until the 10 comes out. Thanks for doing a giveaway!

Thank you all for sharing your stories. We are humbled and are thankful to play even a small role in your lives. The winner of the BK16 is redmech. Please send your shipping info to promotions@ka-bar.com with a subject line of "BK16".

-OKB

I missed it by one post. Congratulations to the winner and thank you very much for the chance KA-BAR!

Oh well really wanted that one. Congratulations redmech you won a great knife. Thanks again Ka-bar for a great opportunity.

Back