Recommendation? DC Scrapivore LE

Snagged one of these puppies in my grab bags, and I really like it. It was the only grab bag blade that came shaving sharp. With its light weight and flat profile, I think it will make the perfect edc. Well, maybe. I've heard/read some reviews stating that the double cut finish is particularly prone to rusting, due to the nature of bead blasting. I live in central Florida, and I'm not known to do very much maintenance. For reference, I carry a S&W M&P Shield 40, and maybe clean it quarterly. If it's lucky. Never rusted. Don't think I could get away with that with DC SR-101. What are my options as far as coating/patina/corrosion protection for this particular finish? There is a good chance the blade will see some food prep use, and will also get a paracord wrap. Definitely concerned with corrosion under the wrap, as the cord can hold moisture. Also have a few questions about another finish I have, but first things first.

Since this thread is useless without pictures, and because I am useless with pictures...
https://m.imgur.com/TEq8oOx?r
https://m.imgur.com/5Lhk5PE?r

I'm in Seattle, and I've generally had good luck with Tuf Glide and/or Tuf Cloth (specifically, Marine Tuf Cloth). Leaves a nice protective coating.

I use food grade mineral oil on my blades. I have had good luck with a basic 10 that is dcbb. But it is infi.

Already started to have a few rust spots when I got it. Used rubbing alcohol and a scotch brite pad to remove those spots and remove all oil. Applied Brownells oxpho-Blue. Not going to use it for food prep and not sure if the oxpho-blue would be toxic if used for food prep. Will use the oxpho-blue for stripped SR101 and INFI for food prep.

Going to make a small leather belt sheath next. Used USA made mini para cord to wrap the handle.

VSt8yyu.jpg

If you Paracord wrap the handle, you can always resin soak the wrap (if you do a decent wrap, and want to keep it). Makes the wrap permanent, and waterproof.

Just chuck it in vinegar to force patina, cord wrap & epoxy the handle and you should be good to go. Got a bunch of naked SR-101 that I've been using & edc'ing, I always take 'em for a good spin in the kitchen to build up some patina and afterwards don't really have issues with rust, even in our conditions that get to 110 & 90-odd % humidity

Thanks for the advice, guys! Never heard of a resin soak or epoxy on a cord wrap. I'll have to look into that. Also considering treating just the handle before the wrap, just in case. Was thinking of maybe blue, but a buddy mentioned plastidip might work. Even more to think about.

I snagged one in my bag and it’s stupid sharp. It also started to patina from handling it so I slathered it in froglube paste.

I got six pieces in my two bags, two of which were custom shops. The Scrapivore is the only one that came with a hair shaving edge. Stupid sharp might be an understatement, but it certainly isn't an exaggeration.

Back